Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
From what I have heard is that the adapter was tilted 10 deg to give more clearance in the bread vans. I'm guessing that at the time they were repowering enough vans to justify making a special adapter to tilt. Lots of people have been running them tilted if it doesn't interfere with anything. Personally I'm using a Dodge adapter, bellhousing and a GM nv4500 trans to keep it straight.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thanks for the info..I plotted out the stock adapter yesterday. I have it in a Cad system so after i got it all done i indexed it 10 deg to bring it back to level and i am a little concerned about the starter clearance now. Will that dodge adapter you used will it work with a GM m465?
I'm assuming that you are planning on cutting a new adapter on a CNC right? You will probably have to move the location of the starter hole since if you clock the adapter the starter hole will be in the block. That is guessing that you are moving the engine block mounting holes relative to the rest of the adapter. One thing I was thinking of doing before I went with a dodge setup was to mill down the rear face of the adapter (side attached to the trans) and makeup a ring that would either weld or bolt to the adapter and shift the trans holes 10 deg to level the trans.

I decided that was too much work plus I didn't want to spend alot of money on my 4L80E. So I went manual with the dodge BH and flywheel housing (engine adapter).

I don't think the bolt pattern for a gm sm465 will match the dodge. I'm using the dodge BH with a gm nv4500 because the 96 and later nv4500's all have the same bolt pattern to the BH and bearing retainer diameter.

I'm curious to see what you come up with!

Good luck :beer:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.