Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
'89 Jeep Cherokee - 4dr, 4wd

'85 4BT - CPL: 593
NV4500HD Transmission.
Dana 300 Transfer Case.
Ford 9" Rear axle.
Dana 44 Front (1/2" Tubes).
Front converted to leaf springs.

Stripped down the the engine bay and removed the axle. It was the original D30, I have a D44 to replace it.

Empty tranny tunnel. I swapped the Ford 9" in a long time ago but never did the front.

Decided to beef up the sheet metal, so I'm plating the unibody with 1/8".

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)

Plated the inside, bottom and outside all the way back past the LCA's.

Shot of the outside, all one piece. The plate on the left is an old one I put long time ago. Stuffered some damage there and had to reinforce it.

Poly bushing an sleeve w/ a zerk.

Spring hanger, I fabbed up out of 1/4".

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

Dana 300 on the back of the NV4500. I used the stock transmission mount out of a Dodge Ram & built the cross member. The D300 is bolted to the back of the NV4500 via a JB Conversions 29spline input gear. I redrilled the input gear retainer to clock the transfer case to the passenger side.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

Here is a test fit. I placed the motor as high as I could go to clear the front axle. With the way it sits the hood will have to modified.

Problem #1. The engine is straight and on center in the bay. Dodge adapter plate starter, are clocked to far away from the engine block. This caused the starter to hit the frame. I had to rotate the starter closer to the block. I welded bosses onto the adapter plate and tapped them. As you can see the starter is much closer to the lift pump.

·
Registered
233 Posts
nice fab work! what kind of springs are you using on the front? waggy?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I was doing to do this to my xj to but thinking of a mrecedes 617 i have a set of 60's for it to! i whant to put the shackel in the rear though

·
Registered
233 Posts
your going to have good room for the exhaut to go down there looks good i following this thread:)

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
Nicely done mounts, should work well..

Randy

·
Registered
6 Posts
How low is the bottom of the NV4500 compared with the frame rails? Is it like 1" below them? Or more? And how much lower is the oil pan on the 4BT than the bottom of the NV4500 roughly?

Looking good. I'm interested to see how this one turns out!

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How low is the bottom of the NV4500 compared with the frame rails? Is it like 1" below them? Or more? And how much lower is the oil pan on the 4BT than the bottom of the NV4500 roughly?
I have the engine pitched up so the lowest point on the NV is 1" below the rails. To go higher you would have to cut apart the trans tunnel and remake it. The lowest point is the bottom of the bellhousing.

Bottom of the oil pan is 2" lower than the bellhousing/adapter plate. I will more than likely have to flatten out the oil pan as I expect the pig on the Dana to hit before the springs flatten out. I just put the axle housing under tonight so will know more once the knuckles are on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the engine pitched up so the lowest point on the NV is 1" below the rails. To go higher you would have to cut apart the trans tunnel and remake it. The lowest point is the bottom of the bellhousing.

Bottom of the oil pan is 2" lower than the bellhousing/adapter plate. I will more than likely have to flatten out the oil pan as I expect the pig on the Dana to hit before the springs flatten out. I just put the axle housing under tonight so will know more once the knuckles are on it.

Do you know how you're sitting for hood clearance right now?

Do you not get a bit of a wheel-base stretch with those waggy springs? Not enough to get the axle housing to clear the sump of the oil pan, or are you expecting to hit the front portion of the oil pan on up travel?

(Sorry if it seems like I'm picking your brain, but I'm just trying to feel this idea up for my XJ)

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you know how you're sitting for hood clearance right now?

Do you not get a bit of a wheel-base stretch with those waggy springs? Not enough to get the axle housing to clear the sump of the oil pan, or are you expecting to hit the front portion of the oil pan on up travel?
Hood clearance is almost zero. I will have to bubble the hood a bit.

No you don't gain wheel base unless you mount the front of the spring past the front of the vehicle.

From the looks of it, the web on the HP 44 will hit the corner of the sump...like I said it's too soon to tell. I have to flatten out the spring and see. Shackle forward...the axle moves forward as the spring flexs so I might clear since the spring will sweep forward as it goes flat.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

This is the clearance between the oil pan sump & D44. Springs are loaded so this is ride height.

I put the turbo on and the alt (22si). I will keep the the high mount turbo, despite having to bubble the hood (think 2nd gen Mitsubishi Eclipse). It gives me room to use a BHAF & install an electric vacuum pump for the HVAC controls.

Hydroboost from a '90 Astro & the MC installed. The bolt pattern is the same as Jeep booster so no mods to the firewall are required. However, the push rod is an inch longer than OE so either the rod has to be shortened or you need a 1" spacer between the firewall and booster. Also installed the XJ clutch master (Mine was an auto). I used a MC from a '92 which is different than my platform ('89). Chrysler made some changes but either generation works.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts