Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on ebay and thought about it as Chicag is just a hop skip and a jump away from me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CUMM...015QQitemZ250133595472QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

For those who don't wanna look. It is classified as a rebuildable core, has IP, turbo, lines etc. Just doesn't have a flywheel, clutch, compressor, alternator, starter. Good deal for $1200

I was thinking about taking the needed stuff off the 302 Ford and fitting it to the Cummins.

Thanks Ya'll

·
Registered
808 Posts
My opinion, its not a good deal. What he calls rebuildable and what is rebuildable to Cummins specs may be two different stories.

As an example;
A few years ago, a friend bought a Cummins 4BT, sold as a rebuildable engine. It was running so rough the top of the engine was swinging at leats 3 inches side to side when it was running. He bought it for $1400 and lucky he had the seller ( a reputable Summer Camp) put on the Bill of sale that it was rebuildable according to their diesel mechanic. He tore the engine down and the head gasket had blown between 3 and 4. Problem was the camp staff kept runnign it for the season. There was a burn in the top of the block between 3 & 4 that was .060" deep. He took the engine to Cummins Northeast and was told it was junk, not rebuildable to Cummins Specs and they did nto even consider it a trade in core.

The Camp diesel mechanic argued he could repair the burn bla bla bla. After approaching the camp management, along with the written report from Cummins he got his money back in total. Try that on Ebay. Just my thoughts.

Paul

·
Registered
173 Posts
deffinetly not a good deal unless you want to have fun tracking down parts and rebuilding just spend another 3-800 dollars and get something that runs like a champion :D the deals are out there you just have to look

·
Registered
126 Posts
It's like PaulNY and Halfbreed said, not a good deal.:(

The hidden costs will crush the dream quickly:
buying the added parts will cost more than one realizes.
The motor, parts and rebuild will end up costing well
over $3k before you are even starting it.

Gauge this cost compared to some pretty fresh
4B variations out there and it is a wash at best,
if you do not consider the time spent farming out
for parts plus the shipping...

...I firmly believe there are good deals out there, just
based upon the number of 4BT's produced and the
estimated number of people willing to do the conversion.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Yep, what they said!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts