Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, a while back I bought a 95 oshkosh stepvan equipped w/ a 4bt. I believe it is a 135 HP model,inline P pump, turbo, and IC. truck seems to be similar to the freightliner chassis? was a fedex runner.

So- I had plans to use this as a work truck, and it does do nicely at that, but parking it is a PITA, and so I am looking at selling this, and buying a DIESEL truck, or maybe re-powering something else w/ this engine.

I am not really sure of the drivetrain configuration on this truck,I remember that it does have a borg warner 4 speed. the truck is 100m away. so I cant crawl under and verify anything right now.

Does anyone want to throw out a guess as to which tranny/ bell?? 2-3 shifts are real far between, I know that. truck has 4:10 rear end.

I have done a bit of reading on here, and
am wondering if this may be a ford setup? or what was the BW tranny common in? from what I know, Osh kosh only made these trucks for a year or two. it does have a dodge key/ignition, if that matters.

anyhow, I am toying w/ the idea of finding an f-150/250 to drop this into, seems sometimes it can be a very easy swap. I do have a buddy w/ an 86 f250 4x4 small block v8 that he is not using, could get cheep/ free, as it is not running.
but it is not the kind of truck that I would want to spend thousands on re-powering. Also, this is a standard cab, and I would like a crew cab/ex cab. but maybe a good starter.

I am also curious as to dealing with the hydro boost. what is a common fix for this? seems like swap over to a vac/PS combo pump- what application should I look for?

I should also say the initial budget on this would prolly not be much more than what ever I can get for scrapping the body-$1k?, unless I decide to hunt down a different truck, then I may have to pay out a bit more.

I am not looking to bomb out this engine, just a reliable DD w/ good mpgs, and that nice klatta klatta klatta sound....

well, just trying to gather some info and weigh my options here for a diesel pickup. thanks for the input.

·
Registered
854 Posts
You need to see what block adapter it has, because that is a big expense when considering bolting up to another trans

·
Registered
145 Posts
Go with a newer full size bronco (1992-1996) That would be sweet! I have not seen anyone do this yet.

·
Detroit Section Caretaker
3,761 Posts
The Hydroboost is not a problem, and is actually the best choice of brake boosters (my $0.02). Just remove it and the engine from the step van, and install in the new chassis.

What body or vehicle to put it all in is up to you, what do you like the looks of. Also consider the price and availability of parts for the vehicle, as after the engine swap you will probably hang on to it a long time, so one that is easy and cheap to work on is a plus.

Grigg

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
ok- so how do I tell which block adapter it has? I see that BW put trannies in just about everything.I am not near the truck, and it is winter time. this may turn into a summer-long project.....

not interested in a bronco, I need a truck for work.

so- the entire MC assy can be removed and installed into another ride? didn't think of that, prolly cheeeper than anything else.

I have pretty much been a Ford guy, but chevies do seem to be cheeper to work on. I think the main factor will be what tranny/ adapter I have, and what will bolt up. I am not into spending tons on the swap, I have this pipe dream of just dropping the engine into a truck:p i know, i know.....

I spend my spare time in junkyards, so I can prolly keep any domestic running a long while.....

·
Registered
425 Posts
I think your budget needs to expand. 1-2K is going to be difficult. The reoccuring theme seems to be it takes longer and costs more than planned. That's been true for me for that part of my project. Sounds like you've got a great stepvan.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The F-250 / F-350 is a real good choice, thats what I am using.

My Link:
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2605

Modern Chevys are a little tighter fit, and have that IFS suspension, not as simple IMO.

Good luck with what ever you choose, and be sure to post pictures!

·
Registered
854 Posts
My swap (initially) came in around 2K and took about two weeks, but the constant repairs are KILLING me!

·
Registered
454 Posts
what sort of repairs linc ? i have had a vibration cracked brake line, the gauge regulator has died, and now a leaking ip.

·
Registered
854 Posts
what sort of repairs linc?

Injection pump $808
Two power steering lines, pressure side $26 each
Tensioner/Idler Pulley $90
Alternator $52
#2 Injection line - bought used a set of four for $50,
....each line new from Cummins is about $80
Front seal $27
Serpentine Belt $23

All in 4 months...plus the downtime when shit breaks sucks

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
If you have a Ford chassis engine the 1980 through 97 Fords with a 300 six and manual tranny are a bolt in. I would look for an 87-91 F-250 or 350 4x4 with a small block or six and a 5 speed. If you get a small block truck you just need to change the frame stands to 300 six ones. If you find a 460 or diesel truck the tranny won't work without a custom adapter.

The newer trucks through 97 are very simple too, but there's a bit more wiring to deal with.

The fit looks factory and the power should be pretty good with an inline motor.

I wouldn't waste the time with an IFS chevy. If you get one free, maybe, but the fit is pretty bad and 99% of them are auto trucks which adds a lot of complexity to the swap.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If you have a Ford chassis engine the 1980 through 97 Fords with a 300 six and manual tranny are a bolt in. I would look for an 87-91 F-250 or 350 4x4 with a small block or six and a 5 speed. If you get a small block truck you just need to change the frame stands to 300 six ones. If you find a 460 or diesel truck the tranny won't work without a custom adapter.

The newer trucks through 97 are very simple too, but there's a bit more wiring to deal with.

The fit looks factory and the power should be pretty good with an inline motor.

I wouldn't waste the time with an IFS chevy. If you get one free, maybe, but the fit is pretty bad and 99% of them are auto trucks which adds a lot of complexity to the swap.
I would argue the fit being bad in a GM IFS truck. I think mine fits very well, thank you. I would also be hesitant to encourage spending the time and resources necessary to complete a swap of this nature into any vehicle equipped with that POS Ford TTB front end, even if it were free.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
well, I did drive an 87 f150 4x4 300-6 for a few years. really liked that engine. did not really have too many problems w/ the truck itself, either.so Now I need to look for a rust free truck w/ a bad 300. well, after I verify that it is a ford setup.

so- How can I figure that one out? any tips for distinguishing the different setups in the stepvans?? It has a BW 4 speed, dana 70-HD rear and a mopar ignition ;0. I guess I would need some pics of the engine mounts, etc.

the f250 my buddy has is a 82/83? , auto 4x4 302. so that would seem to be a bit more work, maybe worth it if he gave me the truck for scrap price/ trade. but I would really like an ex cab, to be able to haul the family in.

I have a mercedes w/ 300K on it, so I do know about maintenance being a killer. but it seems like linctex is getting the bugs worked out and will prolly have a nice reliable truck here soon enough.

the budget- I realize that 1-2k is really fairly unrealistic, but dont tell the wife I do like to fab my own stuff, and re-use junk/ castoffs in creative ways, though....

I will be needing to do an engine swap in a mbz 300 before I even think about another project. I am just testing the water here, see what my options are for the stepvan. it is either re-power another truck, or sell it and buy something else. if I do repower something, i will need to sell one of the MBZ's, too, I reckon. the wife doesnt really like cars all over the yard.??

edit- heres a couple pics I dug up, not exactly what i need, though....

·
Registered
854 Posts
It seems like linctex is getting the bugs worked out and will prolly have a nice reliable truck here soon enough.
^God, I sure hope so. I am tired of calling friends to come get me. I took a very reliable truck that got crappy mileage and turned it into a VERY unreliable truck that gets great mileage.

A picture is worth a 1000 words...can't tell what bellhousing you have, but the engine has a Holset HY35 turbo with a 9cm exhaust housing! That helps a lot with quick spool up.

And......(drumroll please) you have an inline injection pump!! Probably the P7100 pump that everyone has such a big hardon for. It appears you have one of the newest versions of this engine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If your truck has the BW trans, then it uses a ford SB adapter plate. The trucks with the spicer have SAE plates.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If your truck has the BW trans, then it uses a ford SB adapter plate. The trucks with the spicer have SAE plates.
sweet- that is the info I was hoping for. does that mean it prolly has the 300-6 mounts, too?
I know its a BW, but I never wrote down any of the numbers on the side of the tranny. so now if I find a 300-6 powered ford x-cab w/ a bad motor, no rust, good rubber and 4x4 for free, I may be able to keep inside my budget.;)

I know the IP is the one to have for cranking up the juice. I would prolly leave it be for now, unless I decide to overhaul the engine first- 252K on the ol girl.

so, assuming the ford bolt up will work, the clutch/PP/ flywheel assy would work, too? or need a different clutch plate??

time to re-visit the search feature;)

thanks for the info....

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
well, just to update info that I have collected searching 'round the web last few days....

I seem to have
a Ford setup w/ a low mount turbo.
P pump
HY35 turbo
intercooler= 4bta 135HP, i think, if I remember correctly. sound right? cant find my pic of the build tag from the engine.

so, basically, I am thinking of finding a 80+(hopefully 87-91) F150/250 ex cab manual tranny. a 4x4 would be nice. I am not wnating to build a trail/track monster, but a reliable daily driver with good mileage, and the ability to tow a few thousand# from time to time. I may be tempted to add some ponies later on- but prolly keep it under 200.

A few things:
I did not find out for sure is which motor mounts would work the best?

and will a stock 300 six clutch assy hold up? or what will be the best upgrade?

and while I find a few references to the mazda 5 speed, what about the 4 spd that were used earlier on? I recall in my 87 I had a 4 spd.

Cold starts- I have only tried down to mid teens*F, and she started. but it has been subzero here for the last few days, and I will need to have a reliable rig and will not always have shore power. so, aside from using 2 batteries in a conversion, what else is there- I believe the dodges have a air warmer- I would like to find one of these. I also think I read about ether ports? which were controlled from in the cab to give the girl a little huff of the go juice? anyone care to comment on that??

well, more to come, I am sure...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Since you don't have the pickup yet, make sure you get one with overdrive. I originally used a 4 speed without overdrive. It was OK but since I switched to an OD tranny my freeway speeds are now 70+ mph.

You can just use the clutch that came with the breadvan.

You don't have to dump a bunch of money into these if you keep it simple, do the work yourself, and get regular help from this site. Since you already have the van, you could finish the swap for whatever the pickup costs you. 87-91 ford f150s usually bring less than $1500 in our area. The only other thing I bought for my swap was 25' fuel line ($25) and about $5 worth of scrap iron to build the frame stands and mount the electric cooling fan. (I have since bought an OD tranny for $350). If I would sell off all my extra parts I would easily have less than $2000 in the entire swap. I think my next one will be much more $ though.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So I was at my father's the other day, where I have my truck. wanted to get pics of the mounts, etc, but there was about 14" of snow around it, and I did not feel like tunneling under.

I have concluded this-
CPL 1839 130HP P-pump AAIC

low mount turbo. seems like it may cause firewall clearence issues?

It has the ford adapter plate, BW 4 spd. I have little faith in this tranny,pops out of second, sometimes third. the 2-3 spread seems way off, have to wind out 2, then three bogs way down, especially pulling a hill.

front sump- I would prolly have to switch it=new pickup tube-Anyone wanna trade? what about the dipstick?

Oshkosh= grumman frame? I wonder if anyone has done a oshkosh conversion-does it still use the ford 300 six mounts?

I have been looking at Ford trucks in the area- lots of options out there.
I have yet to decide 2wd/4x4. but it seems like if I find a nice 2wd, it would not be out of reach to add 4x4 later.
I would like to re-use the IC. anyone do a re-mount onto a ford truck?
whats a good cfm electric fan to get from the junkyard?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts