Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought you guys would like this. It belongs to a friend, but His wife and Homeowners Assoc. says he cant keep it at home. He never really got it running so ive been custodian of it and started tinkering with it. I need to advance the timing a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
That's cool!. I had to google Listeroid for find out what it is, now I need one for the ranch. Any idea how much fuel these engines use per hour?

·
Registered
2 Posts
And you can burn nearly anything that is "thin enough" like warm used motor oil cut with... Veggie oil warmed a bit, you name it. Would love to do this project with a heat recovery system for my winter heat... when I retire... and make it automated start/shut down.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I cant speak of the Indian knockoff's like the one you are taking care of, but the Lister's made in England are known to run 50,000 hours before a rebuild is necessary. Someone on the Smokstak even has one going strong at 80,000hrs. They are heavy old brute's. That engine alone weighs in at 1000lbs. Just don't over rev it or the flywheels can brake apart. From memory they were intended to run 650/850/1050rpm for the 12-1, 8-1 and 6-1 engines.

Chris

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Very nice.

Ok about the wife, but I have a hard time believing the HOA can tell him what he can have at home. It's not like it's a travel trailer or project vehicle parked in the side yard. That engine looks like its portable enough to keep in the garage. During a power outage, I doubt the HOA president would decline an extension cord running to his house.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try this link, ....... www.listerengine.com

You'll find out as much as you'll ever need to know about these engines......

Dslsmoke

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts
Love the Listers.. Especially the CS series.

LOTS of info on them (and similar) over at http://www.utterpower.com

(No, I'm not affiliated in any way, etc.)

HOAs.. You'd be surprised just how controlling and invasive their policies can be. Once overheard at a HOA meeting: "Sorry, but you're just going to have to remove them. It's not a species of rose that we have on the approved list. If you don't remove them, we'll have them ripped up and replaced and then bill you for it."

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
HOAs.. You'd be surprised just how controlling and invasive their policies can be. Once overheard at a HOA meeting: "Sorry, but you're just going to have to remove them. It's not a species of rose that we have on the approved list. If you don't remove them, we'll have them ripped up and replaced and then bill you for it."
That's pretty crappy, but roses are exposed out in the open for all to see. I don't see how an HOA could control what you have on a cart in the garage anymore than they could control what's in your sock drawer.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its more like, It has to stay in his Garage all the time. They wont let him run it or tinker with it in the drive way. He ran it in the Garage, got a touch of CO poisioning, wife then said "its time to go"

Now its mine!!!

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Its more like, It has to stay in his Garage all the time. They wont let him run it or tinker with it in the drive way. He ran it in the Garage, got a touch of CO poisioning, wife then said "its time to go"

Now its mine!!!
What happens if he runs it in the driveway, or the back yard? Do the cops show up?

I read some time back, where a guy had one in the garage vented to the outside, I assume. It was for use during power outages. I think it was in Florida, and was part of his hurricane preparation.

I think the neighborhood needs a couple of guys with Detroits to move in:D

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doing a bit of reading on this little guy. Its pretty cool! Got it running but i had to take the belt off of the Gen head. I think there is something wired wrong and producing more load than 6 hp can handle. Running like a top now!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts