Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched and found only one source that claims for 47/48RE 1 gallon in 45 seconds or less is considered good any of you know if this is correct?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After some research I found that Sonnax™ puts the 47/48RE normal cooler flow at IDLE DRIVE at .09 GPM, at CRUISE TCC OFF cooler flow is 1.9 GPM, CRUISE TCC APPLY cooler flow is 3.2 GPM, and CRUISE TCC CANCEL cooler flow drops back to 1.9 GPM.
NOTE: Anything over 4.0 GPM may cause over-heat condition as rapid flow of fluid through cooler (s) decreases heat dissipation.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Good to know.
I'm installing my first auto a 46RH behind a 4BT which should run hotter. The plan is to use a thermostat inline to the heat exchanger to regulate the temperature.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good to know.
I'm installing my first auto a 46RH behind a 4BT which should run hotter. The plan is to use a thermostat inline to the heat exchanger to regulate the temperature.
I'm doing a low stall converter, heat exchangers and thermostats worry me when I think of all the $$$$ I have in my trans build.

·
Premium Member
2,570 Posts
Don't forget a trans temp gauge. Dodge used to put the sender in the rear servo pressure test port (727) of motorhomes back in the 70's. They also used this in medium duty Dodge trucks. Otherwise put the sender in the line going to the trans cooler.
transmissiontestports.jpg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The transducer on the governor pressure manifold measures temps in the pan however its the newer type so resistance is different that earlier models need too find a gauge that works with it. I like the idea of several sensors and a switch to read each as desired on one gauge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts