Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.1TD has blown its engine for the 3de time. According to my research on the web the 3.1TD was the worst engine ever manufactured and was soon replaced by the MB 2.7 CRD. I'm from South Africa and apparently the diesel model Jeep with the VM 3.1 diesel was only for the European market, SA and Aus.

I'm exploring a possible engine conversion. Can anybody maybe give me some advice on what conversion will be feasible? The Lexus V8 can be an option, but I'm not sure about the fuel consumption. In the US they do a Cummins 4BT in older Jeeps.

Any advice?

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
How about a 3.5L Nissan? Carcrafter seems to behaving good luck with his in his Grand.

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
why not to try a nissan yd25 like that used in nissan np300 hardbody or a td27? btw in the last saturday i saw a grand cherokee with a kia j2 engine, but this one at least to me seemed to be too much underpowered (wasn't turbocharged)...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bumping this thread: my 2002 WJ GC Overland decided it hated it's 4.7HO so it overheated and now I have a nice toasted V8.

This is the third time: maybe the 4.7HO hates being so far from home.

Anyway, I'm looking at a diesel conversion. We can source Isuzu 4JB1Ts, 4JG2Ts, Nissan TD27s and so on for decent prices. Merc OM617s are very expensive (in fact all Merc turbo diesels).

The WJ has the 545FE tranny. What will fit this? Adapters? How do I wangle the TCM?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts