1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
425 Posts
If the pic on that ebay page indicates all that is included there are two parts missing from what you would get in the more expensive Holset kit.

This bushing/spacer

That goes in this piece

and the metal gasket that goes between the exhaust manifold and the turbine housing. Besides that it looks like a good kit. Out of the turbos I've been into the oil seals are what are worn out. But, since you're in there you might as well replace everything that comes in the kit.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So with your 40 gal tank you must be getting +/- 1000 miles per fill up. :eek: That's quite a range!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.

The tank is more like a 38 gallon tank and the filler neck adds the extra 1.5 to 2 gallons. I don't push it past 500 before filling up. I'm averaging around 20mpg with my heavy truck.

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
My H1C is in need of a rebuild so I checked out ebay for a rebuild kit and found one running $39.99 plus shipping. Anyone have experience with these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...STRK:MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=160196225997&rd=1

It's half price of what most go official Holset rebuild kits go for online.

The EPay fine print which means assume nothing:

1. There is nothing to indicate stating this kit is manufactured by Holset. It is for a Holset. The exploded diagram deceives you into thinking it is made by Holset.

2. The real "Buy it now" price + shipping comes out to $55 in my case. Is it worth the gamble?

You might question the seller who manufacturers this before you decide to buy one. :idea:

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Not too worth it to rebuilda H1C if you ask me.. Also I'm sure a bunch of us have them for sale (I sold mine but had a good one). I would source something bigger and better, nothing wrong with more turbo, ever :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not too worth it to rebuilda H1C if you ask me.. Also I'm sure a bunch of us have them for sale (I sold mine but had a good one). I would source something bigger and better, nothing wrong with more turbo, ever :)
I know...I'm just a cheap bastid. Anyone with an HX35 or HY35??

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
No worries Dave! If I still had mine I'd sell it dirt cheap but I installed it into bread truck with a blown turbo... I still owe you a call Dave, haven't forgotten!

·
Registered
126 Posts
The real holset kits are only $72 on e-bay. Maybe get the real deal and not worry about it. I know thats the way I'd go for an extra $30 or so.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I bought one of the ebay kits for my HY35 in my Ram, and it didn't work. It wasn't installer error...I was a precision machinist for 10 years and am now an auto technician, so I am experienced with close tollorances and precision parts. I assembled the turbo and it blew oil everywhere immediately. I pulled it back out and found that the seal was bad. I gave up and bought a used turbo from a guy on DTR. $80 for my kit would have been better spent towards another turbo.

As for swapping turbos, I'd love to borrow the one from my Ram on the 4bt, but it uses a different exhaust attachment, so I'd have to make up a new downpipe. I'm not interested in doing that just to be able to try the bigger turbo.

Jim

·
Registered
425 Posts
I bought one of the ebay kits for my HY35 in my Ram, and it didn't work. It wasn't installer error...I was a precision machinist for 10 years and am now an auto technician, so I am experienced with close tollorances and precision parts. I assembled the turbo and it blew oil everywhere immediately. I pulled it back out and found that the seal was bad. I gave up and bought a used turbo from a guy on DTR. $80 for my kit would have been better spent towards another turbo.

Jim
Wonder if your housing ended up being worn out in which case no kit would have helped. One of my junk housings was shot and the sealing area was worn away (turbo was a paper weight).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts