Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'll be dropping a 4BT into my 1981 Jeep CJ5 soon, and want to have all my ducks in a row. The one upgrade I want to take care of before hand is the turbo. I have an H1C that came on it, and maybe it has different traits then I'm used to, but I couldn't ever hear it light. I've read as much info as I can find about these turbos, and it seems like I'll have an even harder time getting it to spool in such a light vehicle.

After all my reading I'm convinced that the best turbo option would be an HX30, but they seem both hard to come by, and command a price when they do come up. I've also read what's available about the He221. Now let me say that this is all new territory for me, so please don't feel afraid to hurt my feelings lol.

With gearing, I should be able to run 65mph at around 1800 RPM. I don't need a hot rod, I would rather have boost early. Once I get familiar/bored with the setup I could see myself doing changing the fuel pin, perhaps injectors. This is VE pump btw. Then maybe moving onto a compound setup, using whichever turbo I end up with as the smaller one.

So I would love to hear feedback about what turbos you all think would be the best place to start. I'm also considering any upgrades to the H1C that could be performed on the cheap, with good results. I believe the H1C has an 18cm exhaust housing, and a 44mm compressor wheel. I've added a few photos just in case.

Sorry for the long winded rant, figured I'm better off trying to get all relevant information that I know of out there at the get go

Jered

Attachments

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Get a 12cm turbine housing from the net or from a hx35 in a 94-98 dodge cummins. It will bolt right up. This is as good as the h1 will get, and will get u by until u can find a deal on a hx30. Good luck

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you know if the exhaust flanges are the same, size and placement? I'm going to have to put in an all new exhaust, and would rather not hack it up if possible.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
All the same. Bolts right up to everything.

·
Registered
262 Posts
if you do go with a 12 cm housing from an hx35 just remember that that is a wastegated housing and will be an inch and a half longer than the non-wastegated housing. so plan your down pipe accordingly. you can purchase a non-wastegated exhaust housing from gillet diesel and im sure other diesel performance companies but they run around $250

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I pulled the trigger on this thread just a little bit too soon. Spent several hours scouring the web and found an HX30 with about 8k miles on a rebuild for $250. That should solve a few problems

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
I guess I pulled the trigger on this thread just a little bit too soon. Spent several hours scouring the web and found an HX30 with about 8k miles on a rebuild for $250. That should solve a few problems
Good deal.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Can you adjust the waste gate for more boost? I think my motor has an h1c (stock p30 4bt cpl858). Other than welded it open which I don't think I want. Not looking for max power..

Let us know how u like your new turbo.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will do, but it's going to be a while before I have everything back together. I'm shooting to have it done around spring. Been a ground up rebuild for a couple years.

·
Premium Member
2,974 Posts
Can you adjust the waste gate for more boost? I think my motor has an h1c (stock p30 4bt cpl858). Other than welded it open which I don't think I want. Not looking for max power..

Let us know how u like your new turbo.
Wastegates can be made adjustable. You never want it to be always open.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I figured you do not, I just see some people say that have "welded" the waste gate. What can you do to the stock turbo to make it adjustable, or does it even have one? I dont recall seeing one on mine

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I figured you do not, I just see some people say that have "welded" the waste gate. What can you do to the stock turbo to make it adjustable, or does it even have one? I dont recall seeing one on mine
The H 1 did not have a waste gated housing,unless it was added.Using a 12 wastegated housing from a WH1,or a HX35 would work.You can make some adjustments on the wastegate.You can unhook the rod,and adjust it longer or shorter ,or add shims to the actuator housing ( to hold it closed until it builds more boost).....I have mine adjusted that way,and have been happy.There are better,faster turbos,but I like the Holsets,and can mix,and match parts easily to tune one they way I want it. A stock WH1C with a12 cm housing is a really good turbo,and can be adjusted easily....

·
Registered
136 Posts
That seems like a good way to go. Likely what I will do. It being a smaller turbo should help it spool quicker? I see there is a 12cm waste gated and non waste gated housing. Is one less desirable than the other?

This seems to be the general consensus with the h1 is the smaller housing...

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Sometimes dodge guys pull the wastegated 12cm exhaust housing off their hx35 to install a 16cm on for more power. So if u looked around u might find one cheaper. On a 4bt the 12 is still big enough that u will not need a wastegate so it's up to u if u want to wait a find a deal or just buy one that doesn't have it and is not 2" longer.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
H1C with 12cm wastegated HX35 exhaust housing is what I'm presently running. I do not have the waste gate boost referenced. The H1C is plenty of turbo for a mild 4bt...it's only down side is that the smallest exhaust housing you can get is 12cm.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
About time I follow up on this. I got the HX30 that I found initially, and then got a smoking deal on another one locally. So now I have two of them :D. Just need to figure out which one I'm going to use, and then I will be selling the other one to recoup some costs.
2012-12-28_20-19-40_781.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts