Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, the intent is to put this in a Dakota.

I have a 1985 rusty shell of a 300D with a great motor. The city has decided that I can't have it in the driveway any more, so I have to hurry up and pull the motor and any other necessary parts, and send the shell off to become misc. recycled metal.

Does anyone have a list of things that simply must NOT be forgotten when pulling the motor? Also, any parts you wish had been remembered come swap time?

List so far:
Motor
Transmission
Glow plug relay
Cooling system
Radiator
Motor mounts and chassis landing points
Trans crossmember?
Other?

Someone else's list from an OM617→Toyota Pickup swap:
Radiator
Surge tank and hoses
Oil cooler
Fan
Motor mounts
Down pipe might be handy
The breather hose off the valve cover
Save the nuts and bolts and everything you take out.
Vacuum hard line off the vacuum pump to connect the brake booster. You will need it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
You got plans for AC? Maybe, keep the AC parts?

I doubt you would ever need it, but, how about the fuel tank?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Plans for AC are to use the Dodge AC. Hoping to not even need to open the system, but I know better...

I'll be building a serpentine system for the front of the OM617, mostly to make future maintenance simpler.

I'm guessing by the lack of "yeah, I wish that I'd remembered to grab _!" that things really are just as simple as they seem to be.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had a 220D at one time...but, can't remember how the motor mounts worked. You write:

"Motor mounts and chassis landing points"

That "landing points" is a good idea. Do you mean: take a good-size chunk of the sub-frame, or whatever the mounts bolt to? I have not run into guys using a part of the donor frame to build mount brackets...but, it seems like a good idea to keep in mind.

Roy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Plans for AC are to use the Dodge AC. Hoping to not even need to open the system, but I know better...

I'll be building a serpentine system for the front of the OM617, mostly to make future maintenance simpler.

I'm guessing by the lack of "yeah, I wish that I'd remembered to grab _!" that things really are just as simple as they seem to be.
Did u ever find a way to make it work on the serpentine system for the belt on the om617

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What should have been a long afternoon got a bit held up. I should be finishing up removing the motor from the Mercedes today, and later there will be mounts and idlers and tensioners, oh my!

In the meantime, here's a similar project, further complicated by the addition of a supercharger.

I am pondering the practicality of simplifying. Using the electric PS pump from a late-gen MR2, and of removing that protrusive stock vacuum pump and replacing it with an electric. Can't do anything about the alternator and the AC compressor, and really want to keep the stock water pump, as I don't yet trust electrics.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Gee...those guys, in the link, sure do seem like they are moving a lot of fuel. Thomcat, what engine mods are you planning?

·
Registered
7 Posts
What should have been a long afternoon got a bit held up. I should be finishing up removing the motor from the Mercedes today, and later there will be mounts and idlers and tensioners, oh my!

In the meantime, here's a similar project, further complicated by the addition of a supercharger.

I am pondering the practicality of simplifying. Using the electric PS pump from a late-gen MR2, and of removing that protrusive stock vacuum pump and replacing it with an electric. Can't do anything about the alternator and the AC compressor, and really want to keep the stock water pump, as I don't yet trust electrics.
The link don't work

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts