Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching up and down, but I cannot seem to get a straight answer from someone that has used a 4L80E tranny, everyone that I have been skimming over is either using a Dodge, or a manual or the 400, what do you guys know about the 700R4?

·
Registered
29 Posts
i am using a 4l80e in a 55 willys p/u
the computer i am using is out of a 82 chevy diesel. this computer does not rely on a lot of gas engine sensors

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i am using a 4l80e in a 55 willys p/u
the computer i am using is out of a 82 chevy diesel. this computer does not rely on a lot of gas engine sensors
okay, did you buy this at a second hand parts store?or new? junk yard?
I have a 1996, 3500, with A/c nothing else, manual window, NO power locks, nothing, do you think that that computer would be sufficient to run my truck????

·
Registered
29 Posts
okay, did you buy this at a second hand parts store?or new? junk yard?
I have a 1996, 3500, with A/c nothing else, manual window, NO power locks, nothing, do you think that that computer would be sufficient to run my truck????
the transmission or computer. 3500 chevy? is this a stick now. i need more input!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
the transmission or computer. 3500 chevy? is this a stick now. i need more input!
3500, 2wd, a/t 4L80E in it now, w/ a vortec 350, single rear wheel. the computer that is,will it be sufficient to run my truck with the gauges and all? i know I have to swap the torque conv. I have one from a 6.5 diesel.

·
Registered
29 Posts
3500, 2wd, a/t 4L80E in it now, w/ a vortec 350, single rear wheel. the computer that is,will it be sufficient to run my truck with the gauges and all? i know I have to swap the torque conv. I have one from a 6.5 diesel.
i presume you want a diesel transplant. a 1996 chevy 3500 gas 4l80e computer will not work on a stand alone format (transmission only) you need a computer from a 1991-1993 chevy or gmc 4l80e diesel only. also you will need the drac. (digital ratio adapter controller) simple terms a buffer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You will not get it to work with a gas computer .
you will definitely need an early diesel computer
or torque converter.
torque use a low stall

You cannot use the early computer with your 96.
if you want to run a 4l80e you must use an early 91-93 computer or an aftermarket unit

4L80E unless you switch your 4L80E to early electronics inside..
all 4l80 use an a, b shift solenoid, l/u solenoid and an epc (there are two harnesses but easily adapted

For all the junk you have to get to make your 4L80E to work behind a cummins you'd be far ahead to junk the chevy stuff and get a dodge 47RH. The 4L80E works, but it is a huge PITA if you don't have a diesel one and pretty good knowledge of the wiring and how it works. .
i agree it is easer to use the 47rh.

You also get to have fun putting a TPS on your 4BT.
any tps and a cable

p.s remember the 4l80 is nearly indestructible
just my 2 cts bounce

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have built my fair share of all three domestic trans' and have experienced first hand all of there shortcomings. I had a 97 ram 3500 12v with that poor excuse of a trans (47re) awesome truck Very Bad transmission. I was about to put a 4l80 in it but I sold it instead and trans #4 died shortly thereafter (two were replaced under warrant I built the third which lasted the longest at 85K). I have built 700r4's for 6.5's and 6.2's with great success and all of them towed in overdrive. I'm actually building one right now for a 4bt going in a grand cherokee but in a heavy truck like yours I would stick with that 4l80 they are very strong. Im a mopar fan but I personally wouldn't put a Chrysler trans in anything if i had the choice, spend a few dollars now on a converter and the standalone computer for your 4l80 and save yourself a ton of aggravation down the road.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Going through the same thing!!

I've had everybody tell me it wont work! Fortunatley i've got a 92 4l80e with the diesel converter and diesel computer for it. Some say that if you dont get away from stock that the tranny can hold the torque the cummins puts out. I'm gonna go ahead and make it work. The only thing i'm missing in this puzzle is getting the rpm signal to the tcm for lockup purposes. Some say that you have to add a couple more notches to the balancer, some say you could use the gm alternator for rpm signal, Wish someone could tell me what i need to know, Good luck with your project, Jason;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think in the end, I have done my math and averaged out my ins and outs, and have come down to the conclusion that, I will have to spend at least a Grand$$ on a decent 47rh, plus the adapter plate, plus headaches trying to match it up, shortening my drive shaft, altering my crossmember, getting the wiring to work, in the end, spending $1350 on a Compu shift and a diesel converter and having all my wiring plug n play does not sound bad at all.

Sure my rpms might be a little on the high side, but a 3:42 swap will sure to help. YEP I am gonna go with the 4L80E, thanks Gents, keep em coming, i will keep you posteed on the project, and will take some pics,

If anyone needs a 400th( 475TH actually ) with a converter ready to drop in, let me know, Near Ann Arbor, Michigan, about 30 miles west of Detroit.I will post in the classified,
thanks for all the input

·
Registered
915 Posts
I run a full manual 4L80E with the GM diesel convertor. It was completely rebuilt with new convertor and frictions as well as the transgo manual valve body conversion. I was easy on it at first, but I beat the hell out of it now and it is holding up. My 6BT is a 520ft/lb industrial engine to start. I upped it to 220HP industrial injectors, plate full forward, and gov. washer mod. I shift more often than I should at wide open throttle, and run full throttle with the covertor manually locked in all gears. I figure I am feeding it close to 700lbft and Nothing slips at all and it shifts very nicely. This is all in an 8K lb truck to boot, so it is not an easy life for a transmission. Just today I had it in 4hi, 2nd gear, 45mph on the speedo wide upon up a muddy hill throwing 30 ft roosters and she never missed a beat. It may not last forever, but it is certainly taking the beatings thus far in stride. It has made me a believer in what the 4l80 can stand. The only thing I will not do with it is hook it to a pulling sled.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've always known 4l80e's to be nearly indestructible, dodge on the other hand have always lacked in the auto trans world imo. This is why i really want to use something i know to work well rather than use something thats known to have problems. Just my opinion..........Jason

·
Registered
27 Posts
The 700r4 isnt a bad trans but you need to think of it as a 1/2 ton trans. No matter how you beef it up its still a half tons trans.

on the other hand a th400 or th475 are both very strong reliable 1ton transmissions but lack the overdrive.

the 4L80e's are the combinations of the good parts of both. A 1 ton trans with overdrive. Obviously youve already read the only downside is the electronics.

I'd say do it right the first time and go 4L80e. Chrysler auto trans' are garbage as stated.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Opinions and more opinions.

In my 6.5 liter diesel the 4l80e went out behind the 6.5 at 120k . The guy that had it before me gave me a recipt for $2700 in rebuild. It had an upgraded torque convertor and a few items to build it up. I got it added a Heath chip, an intake and straight piped the exhaust and I drove it hard. Remember this is behind a 6.5 so it was low hp. I could slip the tranny on demand. I remembre thinking to myself this tranny is a pos. If i were to throw $2700 at an RE or RH tranny it would be miles ahead, and in my opinion already is. Behind my mild Cummins my stock 47RH holds the power much better than my 4l80e behind my 6.5. I am certain that I would have killed it in short order behind the Cummins. The Cummins puts out more HP and way more torque than my 6.5 ever thought of. I have pulled loads I wouldn't have considered with my 6.5 and it pulls them with ease and doesn't slow down on hills. If I did the project again I wouldn't consider the 4l80E. I would go with a Dodge tranny all the way. When I kil this one I will build it stronger for cheaper than building a 4l80E, of course an Allison would be very tempting and that destroked kit would be sweet. HMMMMM

·
Registered
29 Posts
You guys are a little too proud of your 4L80E's. They aren't that great and have lots of excessive bushing and valve body wear/warping issues.
that is news to me, all transmissions have these problems but "lots of"
could you please explain which bushing and what valves

it is a 20 to 1, 47rh-re 4l80e on failures

·
Registered
27 Posts
You're not factoring in how you can sell the chevy adapter stuff for a bunch more than you can buy dodge for. It's not hard by any means to find a good 47RH complete with absolutely everything off a 12 valve.

You guys are a little too proud of your 4L80E's. They aren't that great and have lots of excessive bushing and valve body wear/warping issues.
I'm not too fond of anything. If it were in question I'd tell him to go SM465 or NV4500.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts