Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a kubota engine can it be swapped into a truck?:idea:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
no just a lot of tractors was just wondering if a tractor engine or stationary engine could be adapted to run in a vehicle I've herd that some one put a Massey engine into a pickup never got to see it.and was looking at a engine at www.surpluscenter.com good place to find some odd stuff.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
It will be difficult to do, but you might check with a Kubota dealer and see if his parts books show an interchange between 4BT CPL 858 camshaft and the tractor engine camshaft. If so then you should be able to get similar performance from the Kubota 4BT by possibly changing/adjusting injection pump, adding injectors etc. It's my understanding that Kubota does use the 4BT in their tractors but I don't know what the power specs are.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have seen a lot of crazy swaps, and recently helped swap a four-cylinder air-cooled Deutz into a truck used as an airport tug (used to be 300 six Ford engine)

Problem is, "load" governed engines will accelerate a lot more slowly than engines with "speed" governors on them.

If you are not into winning any speed contests, it is no big deal.

I have heard someone describe it as feeling like there was a rubber band between your gas pedal and the injector pump - - - that describes it about right.

·
Super Moderator
8,847 Posts
You can do any swap if you have the appropriate design and fabrication skills.

Regarding load governed engines, my Isuzu 4BD1T has what would be considered "load governed". It probably does accelerate slower than an automotive engine as the governers are possibly slower to react than your increase in speed. But it's simply a different feeling, not a problem.

As far as your foot goes, it's not a rubber band feel. It's more a cruise control feel. Put the pedal at a certain level and the engine will hold that speed as long as it can, giving the engine full fuel delivery if necessary.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Yeah, I probably used to strong of language when I said "a lot more slowly".

You can tell a difference because the "load" governed engines will not "over fuel" on acceleration, so they take just a little bit longer to rev up.

One very positive benefit is the "cruise control" feature of "load" governed engines, like Dougal mentioned.
You set RPM by your foot, and the engine adds/subtracts fuel as needed to keep the RPM. That can be very convenient.

·
Registered
397 Posts
A friend of mine described driving a variable speed governed("load" type) truck as no big deal on road but off road was a hand full. I particularly remember him relating driving across a undulating field as being difficult with the governor and his brain/foot working against each other.

Ken

·
Registered
10 Posts
I work for a Bobcat dealer, and all the skid and track loaders are Kubota powered. My district service manager told me that the 'bota's have a certain sae bolt pattern, it's just finding an bellhousing adapter and flywheel to use that might be the interesting part. My D.S.M. said that the 2.4 turbo versions can support 150 HP with a different turbo and pump adjustments, and the 3.3 is capable of 225 HP with the same sort of mods.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
sae pattern

I would love for you to expand on this.Does he mean that the Kubota has its' own pattern, or a standard sae(2,3,4 etc.) pattern? I have a v1505e that I would love to adapt to an american tractor.Also, where would one go for Kubota turbos and plumbing parts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
coog, check out dieselenginemotor.com. Click on display parts, then Transmissions (trucks), then Other. It was item P-235. Various adapters for bolting chevy, ford and chrysler automatics and manuals. Didn't go into a whole lot of detail, but it's a start. Gotta love the internet.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Thanks

Thanks,Wrench!
I go to that site frequently, but must admit I only look at the engines.The kit shown looks just like isuzudieselswappers isuzu/chevy adapter.

·
Super Moderator
8,847 Posts
Another angle on the "load governed" engines.

Give them 1500rpm (where the turbo can give about 12psi), put it in second and gently ease the clutch out.
You get full torque which the engine will do it's damndest to hold to whatever rpm you had your foot at.
Can launch faster than you'd ever believe and shocks a few ricers too.:D

·
Registered
854 Posts
You get full torque which the engine will do it's damndest to hold to whatever rpm you had your foot at. Can launch faster than you'd ever believe and shocks a few ricers too.:D
Can do the same thing with a speed governed engine, just put your foot all the way on the floor on the launch. That should inject enough fuel.

Problem is after the 1500 rpm launch, the rest of the governor is slow to add more fuel to accelerate past 1500.

·
Registered
168 Posts
engine option

why not look at the Cummins A series, they look very similar to the Kubota....priced better and get them all the way to 65 hp turbo'd

·
Registered
720 Posts
hmmm-- I do know a fellow w/ several carrier reefer units powered by kubota 4's.

I was thinking about building a genset out of one.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I have a good Marathon 7.5 KW head that needs a 3 cyl Kubota bolted to it, but everyone wants an arm and a leg for one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It can be done my friend put a Hitachi EX60 excavator motor into a toyota and he also put a Hitachi EX200 motor into a 67 Mercury

1 - 20 of 20 Posts