Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, newly registered on the site. I have a 76 Dodge Ramcharger that I am starting a 4BD2T swap and after reading through a fair number of posts hadn't seen any mention of the possibility of using a P7100 ip. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Really, no one has any idea? I would think the p-pump would work well and certainly would meet any fueling need. The only question I can think is critical is if the slope on the end of the camshaft for the gear matches that of the a-pump. The P7100 is a right rotation pump same as on a 4BD1 or 2. No one?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Can’t answer your question, other than to say the stock pump can be massaged for more power just like the P7100. I’m not sure what the advantage would be.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the advantage is bigger plungers are easily available. But if no one has ever looked at this I don't want to be the first to try as the pump alone costs plenty, though I suppose one could resell if it just wouldn't work. Anyway thanks for chiming in!

·
Super Moderator
8,816 Posts
The Isuzu has the pump on the other side of the engine. So while a pump swap is always a possibility, you'll have to start with one from another engine.

Randy @carcrafter22 made a high power Isuzu many years ago with some extreme pump mods. The pics are gone but the posts should still be up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello Dougal, I am no expert but if they are both right rotation pumps does it matter what side they are on? I'm sure it is much cheaper to go with a p7100, if it would work, than trying to boost the pump on the 4BD's. I mean a 12mm P7100 is readily available and you can go past that, though i can't imagine a 4BD would need more. I have read a fair amount of Randy's stuff and I think he was easily in $5000.00+ on the pump. Anyway I thought perhaps some brave soul might have tried to swap one in. I wish I had access to one just to see if the Isuzu gear would slide right on. And again, I am no expert so I was thinking if they are both right rotation it doesn't matter which side the pump is on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, newly registered on the site. I have a 76 Dodge Ramcharger that I am starting a 4BD2T swap and after reading through a fair number of posts hadn't seen any mention of the possibility of using a P7100 ip. Any thoughts?
Mine came with a p pump! Completely rebuilt with 6BTA turbo and billet compressor

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Dougal, I am no expert but if they are both right rotation pumps does it matter what side they are on? I'm sure it is much cheaper to go with a p7100, if it would work, than trying to boost the pump on the 4BD's. I mean a 12mm P7100 is readily available and you can go past that, though i can't imagine a 4BD would need more. I have read a fair amount of Randy's stuff and I think he was easily in $5000.00+ on the pump. Anyway I thought perhaps some brave soul might have tried to swap one in. I wish I had access to one just to see if the Isuzu gear would slide right on. And again, I am no expert so I was thinking if they are both right rotation it doesn't matter which side the pump is on.
The A size pump on the 4bd has a 17mm or 20mm taper on the shaft. A p7100 has a 30 mm taper. It will not just slip on unfortunately. Then you would have to address the different mounting flange patterns and pilot sizes. If it was easy it would probably be done more often. Anything is doable if you have the capability and/or money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The A size pump on the 4bd has a 17mm or 20mm taper on the shaft. A p7100 has a 30 mm taper. It will not just slip on unfortunately. Then you would have to address the different mounting flange patterns and pilot sizes. If it was easy it would probably be done more often. Anything is doable if you have the capability and/or money.
Thanks for the information. I would guess that unless you can swap the cams out the taper is going to require a machine shop and a fair amount of money right there. The flange seems like it shouldn't be tough. I see the 4bt pump gear is straight cut and the 4bd gears are helical so no way I can see to simply swap pump plus gear, if the gears were even the same size.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts