Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I’m just starting out and I’ve seen a lot of people talking about the super hx 30 turbo and would like to know if I have room or what modifications I would have to do. From a lot of pictures my turbo seems different and is on top of the manifolds. Any advice and knowledge is appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I'm going to be contrarian here. Install this engine and run it for a while - Too many changes, at once, makes it difficult to troubleshoot (because everything is now NON-STOCK).

Before making changes, this engine will need an intercooler (Charge air cooler for those who get pedantic...), a pyrometer (located before the hot side inlet to the turbo) and a boost gauge. This is both for engine protection (i.e. melted pistons) and the ability to put numbers to the effect of your changes.

I also recommend a fuel pressure gauge, measuring the fuel pressure between the last fuel filter and the fuel injection pump. 2 common causes of dead-on-the-side-of-the-road are lift pump failure and plugged fuel filter. If the fuel pressure starts dropping off, you can fix the problem before you have an expensive tow.

Russ

·
Super Moderator
8,979 Posts
I think it makes sense to build with the turbo you intend to run. Comparatively minor changes in exhaust and intake piping can be huge time-sucks later on.

But there's also a huge appeal in just getting it in and running. Dealing with upgrades later.
Regarding intercooling. You can run up to 20psi boost without an intercooler, but you're really pushing water uphill with a pitchfork beyond that. You will see gains with an intercooler past about 12psi boost.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Right, as mentioned above, I waited to do the gov spring, fuel pin, fuel screw, and turbo upgrades until after I had the engine installed and running. If something fails after a particular upgrade, you'll know which upgrade didn't work as opposed to trying to guess which upgrade didn't work.

Reactions: Polski76

·
Registered
12,418 Posts
The HX30 series turbos are one of the best for a 4bt. The inducer size ran 40mm, 42mm, 44mm, and the super is 46mm. Turbine housings were normally 6cm2 except for one model used on a 6bt that was 12cm2. All of them will physically bolt to the manifold you have. Your current turbo appears to have had a crossover tube that went direct to the intake manifold see second photo) or to a water to air aftercooler (see third photo). There are industrial model HX30W turbos of that same design. See photo below. These would only have been used with an aftercooler, not direct connected. The 4bt's of 120 HP and up had either an aftercooler or intercooler. The P pump 4bt came with a 42mm HX30W which is a very good turbo but kind of scarce in the market. The 44mm version is easily found for around $600 or a bit more. Beware of cheap clones. They are not the genuine article. It has the same oil line fitting and 3" air intake as the H1C. Exhaust connection is the same but the turbine housing is about 1.5" longer due to the wastegate. The Super HX30W has a few differences. It requires a different oil line, the air intake is 4", and the outlet uses the elbow same as an HX35W. Exhaust side is the same as its little brothers. If you plan to stay with a single turbo, the Super HX30W is the largest that works well with a 4bt. If twins are in your future then the 44mm is a better choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The HX30 series turbos are one of the best for a 4bt. The inducer size ran 40mm, 42mm, 44mm, and the super is 46mm. Turbine housings were normally 6cm2 except for one model used on a 6bt that was 12cm2. All of them will physically bolt to the manifold you have. Your current turbo appears to have had a crossover tube that went direct to the intake manifold see second photo) or to a water to air aftercooler (see third photo). There are industrial model HX30W turbos of that same design. See photo below. These would only have been used with an aftercooler, not direct connected. The 4bt's of 120 HP and up had either an aftercooler or intercooler. The P pump 4bt came with a 42mm HX30W which is a very good turbo but kind of scarce in the market. The 44mm version is easily found for around $600 or a bit more. Beware of cheap clones. They are not the genuine article. It has the same oil line fitting and 3" air intake as the H1C. Exhaust connection is the same but the turbine housing is about 1.5" longer due to the wastegate. The Super HX30W has a few differences. It requires a different oil line, the air intake is 4", and the outlet uses the elbow same as an HX35W. Exhaust side is the same as its little brothers. If you plan to stay with a single turbo, the Super HX30W is the largest that works well with a 4bt. If twins are in your future then the 44mm is a better choice.
I was think of buying this but wasn’t sure if it’s a fake . Any thoughts?
and thanks again for your time !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts