Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

21 - 40 of 322 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Which turbo have you got?

There is a wastegated version of the stock T25 turbo with a tighter exhaust housing which is much better and can easily be upgraded (60mm compressor wheel and cover) to similar spec as the HE221.

Does anyone have price and availability of the HE221 or HX27?
Thats true, the IHI turbo is better than the non-wastegated garrett. I picked up my 221 for 250 usd. But I know they are tough to find as I have only seen it listed for sale once. If anyone is interested I can give the name of the ebay seller I bought it from I believe he may have more.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thats true, the IHI turbo is better than the non-wastegated garrett. I picked up my 221 for 250 usd. But I know they are tough to find as I have only seen it listed for sale once. If anyone is interested I can give the name of the ebay seller I bought it from I believe he may have more.
Yes I would be interested in contacting the ebay person you picked yours up from. Thanks Joe

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
The IHI isn't a great turbo, there is a wastegated garrett T25 with the T3 flange.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am having a hard time finding a he221. Now thinking the hx30 is the solution since I can not find these. Anyone have experience with the hx30 in the 1800-2200 rpm range for towing? By 4bd2 is stock but i plan to turn the pump up.

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
114 Posts
82ChevDiesel,

Since there are "5cm, 6cm, 7cm and 8.5cm turbine housing options," which size is yours? This looks like a good option as I upgrade. After some searching, I found out that bigironpartsllc.com has some HE221W turbos in stock (edit: I contact them and they don't really). If I find one, I want to ensure I get the type of match you had.

·
Registered
114 Posts
82ChevDiesel,

Thanks for the information you've shared, though!

Looks like you got the type of results I'm looking for: great low end and mid-range, as I'm looking for torque, driveability, and have no desire to drag race anybody. I cruise at 1900 rpm with my ratios, so I want good torque there, and up to around 2500 rpm. I've set up a spreadsheet and have been playing with the numbers. I'm looking at pressure ratios up to around 2.5 and around 21 lbm/min flow rates. These are tough figures, as one or both of these figures fall off the left side of the maps for most of the turbos I'm seeing.

This morning I found Garrett's Boost Advisor and played with that, too. It confirmed that my figures above are in the right neighborhood, and showed the best Garrett turbos for this to be the following. It recommended eight models, but for these two the points are firmly on the map with good efficiency figures:

GT2056
Compressor
Exducer: 56mm
Inducer: 41.5mm
55 trim

Turbine
Wheel: 47mm (is that inducer or exducer?)
A/R: 0.46

GT2259 (I'm leaning toward this one)
Compressor
Exducer: 59.4mm
Inducer: 42.8mm
52 trim

Turbine
Wheel: 50.3mm
A/R: 0.56

Like Dougal's 2560 numbers above, these are also in a similar range (big surprise, right: 2259 being close to 2560?). I think that most of the turbos being recommended for 4BDs on these forums are too big for a fuel economy / low end torque project like mine, and I'm surprised there aren't a whole lot of surge issues (perhaps the larger injectors/fuel flow rates help with this). These are tiny little turbos designed for 2.0 gassers -- but if they work, who cares?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I wound up finding a rebuilt GT2259 and installing it. I'm quite happy with the results! In my view, the presence of maps that can be analyzed gave Garrett a clear sales advantage. If Holset chooses not to share maps, they are either relying on word-of-mouth subjective judgements to sell their products or they have no interest in aftermarket sales.

·
3,907 Posts
Thanks! That book was well worth the $17 just for a genuine HE221 map.
So if I'm reading the first chart right (kinda blurry on my iPad :confused: ) the HE221 will hold nearly a pressure ratio of 4:1 at approximately 24Lb/Min of airflow, and will maintain a P/R of better than 3.5 from roughly 19 Lb/Min to 34 Lb/Min.

That's a heck of a map, if it's accurate (too bad it's not the complete map, just the outline of one of the islands, sure beats nothing though :) ).

Thank you for posting that.

·
Registered
114 Posts
That looks great. According to that map, my GT2259 is actually quite similar to the HX25. The HE221 looks great on the low end, but continues deep into higher pressures and flow rates. The next question would which turbine sizes are best to make good use of that compressor map.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
If I remember correctly there are 5 6 and 7 cm turbine housings for this turbo. The small housing works great if you cruise around 1800. Sometimes on the highway because of my gears I have to cruise at 2100-2200 and and that point Im pushing 12-14 psi cruise, but maybe thats because I drive a 1 ton dually, my foot has to go pretty far down to cruise at those speeds. I will have to have another look when i get the chance so I can give everyone more accurate info of what size exhaust I am running.

·
Super Moderator
8,672 Posts
If I remember correctly there are 5 6 and 7 cm turbine housings for this turbo. The small housing works great if you cruise around 1800. Sometimes on the highway because of my gears I have to cruise at 2100-2200 and and that point Im pushing 12-14 psi cruise, but maybe thats because I drive a 1 ton dually, my foot has to go pretty far down to cruise at those speeds. I will have to have another look when i get the chance so I can give everyone more accurate info of what size exhaust I am running.
Which one do you have and what is the source of your turbo originally? I thought they were all ISB170 factory fit. But I haven't actually looked into it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I bought my turbo used and the po never got back to me on what it was off. Ill try and look tomorrow and see if I can figure out what size I have. afaik they also came in the 3.9 isb's as well, which is probably why they have such a broad flow range.

21 - 40 of 322 Posts