Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any thoughts on the he250 10cm on the 4bd1t?
please don't ask why not the hx30 because I have the he221 and I love it but can't control egts I like my low end torque and I want to keep it 1200rpm running 12lb 1464 24lb 1760rpms 30+ over maxed my gauge and my fuels not even maxed out so he250 Any thoughts? ; )

·
Super Moderator
9,012 Posts
Tell us what you've got there and we'll see what makes sense.

Where did you get the 4BA1? How much boost and how's that intercooler setup going?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I haven't got the temp sensor in my intake yet
just I misspelled the thread it's a 4bd1t with a he221.
I have a gas rated 1200 hp water to air intercooler setup it does all right looks better than my old inner core .
I want to put a HE250 10cm which supposed to be an upgrade from the hx30 just looking for some thoughts on that matter.
Also what's these head bolts rated for and what's the best studs for that motor?
Antifreeze is disappearing after I turn the fuel up a little more to make 30+ PSI.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Land vehicle

I don't want to Max the fuel out I don't want more than 30 lb of boost I just want my my egts to be under 1200 pulling a trailer right now we can hit 1200 3 to 5 seconds of 30lb of boost and I know it's the he221 exhaust housings too small.

·
Super Moderator
9,012 Posts
1200F isn't a problem if that's a true measurement under sustained load. The only way to drop your EGT is more boost. A bigger turbo won't do it and a 10cm HE250 will be too big.

Looks like your wastegate isn't connected. You should fix that. It'll help top-end a lot.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
This might be apples to oranges but my results with the 221 on my 4BT when gated to 28psi was very driveable from sea level to 7,000' with EGT's never being an issue and would keep up with interstate speeds up to ~12,000# CGVW, however I was running air to air cooler that was around 28" x 30" x3" it also had a cold air intake.
I wonder just how effective the air to water you are running truly is, as with all the tuning I did EGT's at my desired power level were never the issue for me unless I just way over fueled it ...$.02

·
Super Moderator
9,012 Posts
Does your water-intercooler have it's own cooling circuit? Do you know how cool your intake temps are?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Don't have the sensor hooked up yet
my egts can get over 1300° 7 seconds 30° outside I need to put the adapter on the wastegate so I can boost more than 15lb but if I keep it under 24lb egts don't get higher than 1100°
Like I said I love my he221 EGT are the only problem

On another note what's the best studs to put in and where can I get OEM gaskets my head bolts are getting scratched out

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This might be apples to oranges but my results with the 221 on my 4BT when gated to 28psi was very driveable from sea level to 7,000' with EGT's never being an issue and would keep up with interstate speeds up to ~12,000# CGVW, however I was running air to air cooler that was around 28" x 30" x3" it also had a cold air intake.
I wonder just how effective the air to water you are running truly is, as with all the tuning I did EGT's at my desired power level were never the issue for me unless I just way over fueled it ...$.02
What size exhaust do you run from all the other forms I've never seen nobody with a 4bd1 be able to push more than 24 lb without high egts

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
3" from the hot pipe back and no muffler, it makes no real noise out the exhaust.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
3" from the hot pipe back and no muffler, it makes no real noise out the exhaust.
Can only fit 2.5 inch you straight resonators 34 inch total no room all the custom exhaust shops say not going to happen awesome things lost going straight out the top EGTs still high

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
My gut says it's intake and charge air temps that are your issue, I'm still running 3" with my compounds making 50% more power without problems.
Dougals question about if you are running a dedicated radiator for your air/water cooler are still relevant IMO.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
My gut says it's intake and charge air temps that are your issue, I'm still running 3" with my compounds making 50% more power without problems.
Dougals question about if you are running a dedicated radiator for your air/water cooler are still relevant IMO.
I am running a deducted radiator 13x18x2 with a fat boy 7 gallon per minute 60psi pump
Intercooler Core Length: 10" core Height: 4.5" Core Thickness: 4.5" Inlet / Outlet Size: 3" End to End Length: 12" x 13" Approx turns out it's rated for 400hp the original one I was going to buy for it was rated at 1200hp they were out of stock
which I would agree with you but its 12° outside doesn't change how fast the temperature rises I want to say everybody else is running a 3-in exhaust I'm running a 2.5 that's probably my problem can't get rid of the exhaust fast enough

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I tested my intake temperature compressor sides idle wise is about 136° after cooler 76°, Max temperature was 96° it is 50° out today cut my resignators off straight pipe off the turbo added maybe 2 seconds before overheating

·
Registered
65 Posts
Egg man you said you have twins on your 4bd1t. Could you tell me about them.. I really like my 50mm hx30 that has big wheels in it with 58 turbine.. If I hold it flat I can get 36 give or take pounds of boost with egts like 1000 to 1100.. that’s with big injectors even..

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Egg man you said you have twins on your 4bd1t. Could you tell me about them.. I really like my 50mm hx30 that has big wheels in it with 58 turbine.. If I hold it flat I can get 36 give or take pounds of boost with egts like 1000 to 1100.. that’s with big injectors even..
I have a 4BT as I stated earlier, I was just giving my experience with the 221 on a 4L diesel.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Do you have a ppump on and what size he221 they may come from 5.5cm - 10cm
I have a VE I started with the 7cm when living at 500' but changed to a 6cm after moving to 5,000', that change was enough to keep the same fueling while maintaining EGT's and little to no smoke on take off the 7cm was a little smoky above 4,000'. The 221 with the 6cm was totally user friendly from sea level to 8,000'.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts