Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done this. is it just one gasket or a bunch of gaskets? is it a hard task to undertake. and where can i get the gasket?

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
super easy, and not too expensive. Probably the easiest head gasket job to do of any engine I've ever done. Kit is about $150 from Cummins. First, call cummins and make sure they have different kits in stock. There is a standard kit, then some several slightly thicker ones to compensate for machine work. I would get your head checked out at least by a local machine shop for warpage and any valve issues. Good shops will tell you when everything is AOK and when you get it back its nice and clean and shiny and paint removed.. If its warped (happens more often than not) then they take a small amount of metal off of it. I had this done and used a stock head gasket kit because I was in a hurry and it was fine. But ideally you want to match the thickness of the gasket with whatever they take off.

Anyway, super easy. Actual labor is 2-3 hours, which is totally awesome.. Hope it helps. My engine was like a new truck with the head gasket replaced.. I had some mild leakage and never knew how poor my engine was running...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah thanks for the help, i will give cummins a call monday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts