Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i am new here i want to start my project i just got a 4bt it is a 98yr it has a 400 gm bolted to it right now exactly what do i need to put a 5 speed behind it? i dont want this auto . i have read all the threads and am still at a loss from what i can tell i need a fly wheel a adaptor a flex plate???? and of course clutch throwout bearing and tranny .. where would be a good place to start looking and what am i looking for exatly. i know this might seem simple to all of ya but i am not sure of what to look for and how much to pay and where i might find a donnor truck with the parts i need .. now i have done a few motors and trannys but all from gas motors i have a dodge 89 diesel that i drive and i want to make a lil chevy diesel. any help i can get will be of great help thank you

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
To start off need a bit more info .
1.2wd or 4wd
2.Nv4500 will depend on if you have a T-case or not ( spline count )

If your going to Nv4500 trans and you have a 4x4 than use a Gm 96 or newer Nv4500 and have a dodge input parts installed ,you'll need a engine adapter (auto or manual )and bellhousing from a dodge truck with nv4500 94-2001.

If you have a 2wd you can use a dodge or gm Nv4500 but still will need engine adapter and bellhousing parts ,clutch assy ,dodge slave ,and go hyd master .

Scott

·
Registered
75 Posts
I am also interested in the questions you are asking as I may ditch my 700r4 for a 4spd if a good deal comes along. Let me try and clarify the question for people to answer. I understand you have the following: 4bt with a turbo 400 tranny bolted to it. If I am correct that means you have the aluminum adapter plate on the back of the 4Bt that allows it to bolt up to a GM transmission. You also have the "ribbon" mount on the flywheel with a 6 bolt pattern for the heavy duty turbo 400 torque converter.

You have the same thing I started with. I also want to know what Is needed to convert this to a 5spd from a GM vehicle.

Questions for anyone who can answer:

Situation: I have a 4BT with GM adapter and turbo 400. I want to get a 5spd from a Chevy pickup and use it instead of the turbo 400. Tranny should bolt up to the 4bt chevy adapter plate, but Not sure about the flywheel, pilot, bearing, clutch slave etc.?

1. Does the GM flywheel for the the 5spd bolt to the ribbon mount?
2. Does the GM flywheel for the 5spd bolt to the 4bt flywheel?
3. Is there a special adapter (not the ribbon mount) that is used to bolt the GM flywheel to the 4bt flywheel?
4. Does this require a different 4bt flywheel from what I have?
5. Is there a easy way to mount the clutch slave cyl.?
6. What about the Pilot bearing?
7. How does the length of a GM 5spd compare to a turbo 400?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
You need a completely different flywheel, the 4BT chevy manual flywheel. It is very different from the auto flywheel/ribbon ring deal.

Probably simpler and cheaper to sell your chevy stuff and go with dodge NV4500 stuff or Ford ZF stuff.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My advice also would be to sell the chevy stuff. IMO keeping the chevy adapter is OK if you are going auto but if you are going NV4500 then either go dodge NV4500 or '96 and up chevy NV4500 and change the I/P shaft for dodge (this is very easy BTW) The problem with chevy manual stuff is the flywheels are very rare and clutch choice is limited. You should be able to sell the chevy adadpter for a good price and then get a 2nd gen('94-2001) dodge adapter and the dodge flywheel & clutch from anywhere. BTW I had a late chevy NV4500 and just changed the I/P shaft & bellhousing so I could keep my tcase.

Gaza

·
Administrator
4,164 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
hi the project truck is a 2wD i would like to make it a 5speed.
Ok ,
since you have a 2wd it going to be easy .

Parts list

1. 2WD Nv4500 trans ( Dodge or GM )
2. Dodge bellhousing.( 94-2001 )
3. Dodge engine adapter plate (94-2001 )
4. Dodge slave ( 94 -2001 )
5. Clutch master your choice * I use a ford and it will push a 13 1/4 clutch.
6. Clutch master / slave line.
7. Clutch or your choice ,get a hight rated than needed hp / qt.

Scott

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
what about the adapter on it now for the gm auto can i use it or is it just for auto?
The P-30 GM adapter set for the auto has the std GM 90* bolt pattern ,so the engine adapter is the same on auto and manual .

The Gm manual parts are hard to come by and the flywheel is different than a stock gas or diesel ,350 ,454 ,6.2 or 6.5 .

You can use the adapter you have but here are some probmles you going to have.
1. The clutch has to be a 11 '' like on a 454 gas clutch because the Gm bellhousing is small.
2. The linkage is all manual.Co
uld make hyd.
3. Will still have the engine tilt.
4. have to find the p-30 manual parts.
5. Flywheel is nolonger made ,when there gone there gone.

The cost of buying the Gm parts ,you can find the dodge parts and never have to worry about a flywheel that is nolonger made.Plus by usib=ng the dodge parts you can get parts anywhere and most are instock.

Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thank you bounce well guys your info will be a big help . you have talked about dodge and gm and it looks like the dodge is the way to go. now what is up with the ford parts what adaptor works with what . and is it a good option and what should i be looking for.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I have been reading this thread trying to figure out what\ how should I go about doing my 4bt swap into a 91 f150 4x4 and first I have to thank everyone. This a awesome source of info! OK so now I got a 4bt that was halfway into a Toyota Land cruiser before I got it and all I really know is it ran and I got a good price. Regardless of what pump. My first question is how can you tell what pump is on it? Second and most important is what flywheel came on it? I was told it came from a bread van and all I know is I think I have what I believe to be a GM flywheel. It has 3906802 stamped on it and it was on the motor with a Toyota adapter (which I had to give back to my buddy) and a ford starter and was running. On som e other post I've seen this flywheels part # is now 3913056? Does anyone know what this thing is? Or how I can find out. Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts