Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at this 4bt for sale and hoping you guys can shed some light. It's in a 91 grumman van with an sm465 behind so a chevy pattern. Owner says it runs great, has an intercooler it looks like. Odometer says 71k but I'm sure the engine has more. It's missing the data plate on the timing cover. I would be buying just the engine from him not the whole van. I dont have an exact price yet but I'm sure under 3k, hopefully closer to 2k. I would be able to see it running. Anything look alarming?

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Nothing alarming from your pictures. If you should end up with it, whatever you swap it into, I would want to eliminate the 90 degree turns on the turbo piping. Thats no biggie though, as you'd probably need to redo the plumbing to fit your application. The intercooled version was, I believe, 120 hp, instead of the 105 non-intercooled engines.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Don't see anything out of the ordinary there. Missing data plate on the engine is not uncommon. It is possible the engine has been rebuilt and the engine serial number could be stamped on the back of the block just below the head if Cummins did the rebuild. VE injection pump with an intercooler generally indicates an engine in the 120 HP area. If you look at the injection pump and find its ID plate that part number can possibly narrow down the Cummins CPL number. A likely candidate would be CPL986 which was found in delivery vans and had an air to air intercooler.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I hope he tosses in the intercooler and associated piping. I would also ask him to toss in the associated wiring. Just thinking out loud, food for thought.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
Also, although the transmission isn't really ideal for most road use due to the lack of a OD gear, the GM flywheel assembly is quite rare and desirable. You could bolt an GM NV4500 right up to the adapter and flywheel. If some other transmission was in the plans you could always sell that setup.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone, going to look at it today. I was planning on selling that adapter setup and getting an adapter to use my big block zf5. I also have a small block zf5 but I'd rather have the 13" clutch and external slave of the big block.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the engine home! It was an oshkosh van. Turned out to be a t19 with the sbf adapter plate! Do you guys think this was originally intercooled or was it added later?

Attachments

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
On the ZF transmissions, there are a few things to consider. Lots of guys run the small block version because their engine had the Ford adapter plate and flywheel. One main headache with that is the internal clutch slave that requires removing the transmission to change. The big block ZF has the same exact gear ratios, an external clutch slave, and as you mentioned allow for a larger clutch should higher HP be in the plan. The better of the ZF's is actually the one that came behind the 7.3 diesel in the F250-350 trucks. It had different gear ratios which are better suited to the 4bt. Adapting it will cost the same as the big block 460 version but will use a different adapter plate. If you go that route you'd want to be sure the ZF was not the one from the F Superduty (F450) because that 7.3 has the same gear ratios as the big block gas engine. The gear ratios for the 2 versions were as follows:

SB, BB, FSD 5.72, 2.94, 1.61, 1.00, .76, & 5.24R
7.3 F Series 4.14, 2.37, 1.42, 1.00, .77, & 3.79R

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 97 7.3 with the zf5 S547. I'd only do a diesel zf5 if I had the S547, otherwise I'd rather run the wide ratio.

·
Registered
11,531 Posts
The S5-47 ratios are not quite as good as the S5-42 for a 4bt but they are certainly better than the wide ratio which is the same on both models.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts