Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So all the builds and swaps I've read about with 4BTs into Jeeps require Long Arm suspension since the upper control arm gets in the way of the starter.

There in lies my problem. I want to go the 4BT swap in my ZJ but I'm not ready for long arms just yet. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way around this issue?

·
Registered
169 Posts
So all the builds and swaps I've read about with 4BTs into Jeeps require Long Arm suspension since the upper control arm gets in the way of the starter.

There in lies my problem. I want to go the 4BT swap in my ZJ but I'm not ready for long arms just yet. I'm wondering if anyone knows a way around this issue?
You could try to leave the oil pan forward, may clear. But remember, The 4BT is a very tall motor.:dustin:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oops, forgot there are three of us now... with two more on the way.
-Scotty

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could try to leave the oil pan forward, may clear. But remember, The 4BT is a very tall motor.:dustin:
I'm not against raising the engine to fit it without long arms (could even fab a cowl of sorts if needed).

I did not use a long arm kit but raised the engine and also used a starter from a case setup I think I have a pic on my page
Found the picture, happen to have a part #?

I've got a 3.5" lift here, ready to go on the truck. I think it could work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks.

I'm gonna take some measurements of my engine bay later today.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright, found some info that I'm gonna share.
First is the engine bay measurements.
Firewall to Rad: 33.25"
Motor mount to motor mount: 27"
Firewall to Rad. Support: 38"
Frame Rail to Top of motor: 21"
Oil pan to axle clearance (guessitimate because I couldn't crawl under to measure): 5-6"

Found some Engine dimensions for the 318:
A = 29.50 B = 29.50 C = 23.50 D = 31.00 E = 25.00

A - Length from rear of intake manifold to water pump pulley
B - Length from rear mounting surface to water pump pulley
C - Height from bottom of sump to highest point of intake manifold
D - Height from bottom of sump to top of carburetor
E - Width outside of valve cover to outside of valve cover

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
IIRC if you use a Ford FW housing and starter (left side) combined with the 7* tilt of the engine it will clear the upper CA mount. I know of one guy who did the GM FW housing, and starter( right side), and AX-15 in a TJ and he was able to use the stock CA upper mounts. In my TJ it would not fit so I went with LCA and Poly Perf. mounts. I am using GM FW housing, starter and TH400 trans.
So I guess in short it all depends, there is no solid rule on the upper CA mounts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea, I think it depends on a lot.
Going to use an NV4500 with my swap.

Think I might just say screw it and work some over time so I can buy Long Arms.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i have a 1980 cj5.i have a 4bt out of a late 80s ford van my jeep has a 360 4 speed. i just want to swap my 4bt into the jeep can any one shed some light on what i might run in to any help will be aprectiated thank you

1 - 12 of 12 Posts