Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I made this post on the e-mail yahoo forum today

"Ok might be my last thread on the old group here we will see :)...Gmail keeps it all nice and tidy so I might use it for awhile to make sure everyone is still onboard until you all get registered on the new forum

But after some digg'n...driving..and finally a call I found I think exactly what I need.

I found a rebuildable longblock core for the inline pump. I will call and clarify after some of your input of what I should be looking for.

They had almost complete engines...short blocks...parts...and longblock cores.

So what I think I will be getting for 1250...plus about 350 shipping...is the long block, lines, fuel system to include pump. I'll clarify but I think I'm getting everything but flywheel and adapter, manifolds, and possibly might be comming without a turbo not sure...but I think it does come with it even though I will be chucking it aside for something bigger.

Never bought a core before so any input of what I need to ask would be appreciated. I'll be purchasing by the end of the week."

So yeah just let me know. If I can keep the funds flowing and the time to drive over to where I will be building this engine up it should move pretty fast. That and make long nights in the garage doing the body work and welding up the frame on the F-100

Thank you guys

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Be cautious and try to get everything in writing if possible. A core could be anything from a complete running engine that could have from a slight to moderate oil consumption problem to an engine that may knock and need a crankshaft replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ohh crankshaft....good idea I will make sure to get a very detailed description and list of everything then and get it in writing.

Yeah I've had bad luck with crankshafts in the past on an old 240D I had. Not to much fun. Not a problem if they give me another one with it as I plan on rebuilding the thing from scratch anyway. Tearing it down to the very last bolt.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yeah I've had bad luck with crankshafts in the past on an old 240D I had. .
Hey addicted... I have 81 240D with 140 k on it? you know much about timing those babies....? my buddies 240 kicks my butt and he has over 300k on his 240? I hate losing ... :smile:

berg

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yea,,

If you if you have never messed with it it is probably right on. Could be a lot of other things and I might start with those. I'm heading to bed here right now but if you really want some good information head to

Schumanautomotive.com

or

Mercedesshop.com

There are DIY links on those and will tell you how to time it. I don't remember the degrees on the 240D as I never messed with that one. I just timed my 300 and it was different.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I'm awake :)

If your buddy is really kicking your but in another 240D you must be really hurting.

If he has a 4 speed you will lose anyway so that could be it.

I would first check all your filters...usually the biggest cause of slower vehicles.

After that make sure your valves are adjusted as that can make a huge difference as well and should be done every 15K miles.

Run some diesel kleene through your injectors....(straight out the bottle) and then pour another one in your next tank. After that tank you should notice a difference.

If you have a Good hill get her up to temp load some weight in the car and put the pedal to the medal. Get her real warm for a good amount of time and maybe you can get a black puff or two to come out. That always helps a lot too.

Then if those don't work I would check your timing. It is not that hard but I sure seemed to have a hard time with it for some reason when I was rebuilding my head and placing it back on.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks

I have changed all filters except the tank strainer....46mm socket needed.

I ran diesel purge thu and i have over 400+psi on all cylinders, my car is a 4 speed manual as well and 1/2 the miles on my motor.

I have to use binoculars to look over my shoulder when merging onto the freeway :smile: ... 0- 60 in " I'll get back to ya".
I hang out on Mercedesshop allot.. they give good help. What I have decides is to find someone with a Piezo timing device and try thatcause I have very littel chain stretch. I do the valve often with the right wrenches as well.

berg

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
When I get a chance I'll see if I can post some stuff from the TDR forum about switching from a VE to an inline pump. Apparently not an easy swap, you need the gears etc all from the inline pump model. For my friend with the Bosch A pump I am thinking that should be interchangeable with an inline pump as they are both technically "inline" and the front/inline part looks very similar..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts