Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
Just took delivery of what appears to be a 4BTA (it's all plumbed up to go to a CAC minus the intercooler). Engine is all crated, so I took some panels of to gather info. Cleaned area thoroughly and no data plate on timing cover or any where else. Looked on back of block for a "VIN", was not obvious. Where to look? Thought it might be a reman and was looking for "XXXXXX" on the block to designate as such, No Joy. Took these numbers off the VE pump

WR. 0 460 424 055
VE R 359-1 (in Large Numbers)
391 7530
947 201 88

Data was stamped in the order shown. Paint may have obscured some numbers, but I think I have it right. Motor still in create until I find a place to do the work, so I don't want to break it out of until then. any clues?
Doug

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If it's not on the driver side of the front gear cover I would contact the previous owner and hope for some maintenance records etc. Cummins runs a tight ship and usually wants a CPL # for part ordering. Control Parts Listing that is. It is nearly impossible to search parts outside your CPL on their subscription site Quick Serve, although it can be done with time and patience.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
There's more reasons to DEMAND a data plate. Several 4BT's & 4BTA's have been stolen recently! If you're the lucky owner and get nicked in a registration hassle at you DMV it can be some real bad news. Also there's no way to know if it's a vehicle engine, a marine engine or what the heck. Even a 'Great Deal!' can fade into something else real quick without a CPL Data Plate.....

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Spray the rear of the block just below the head to the adapter with paint remover and use a wire brush. If you remove the paint and find grinder marks and no serial number DEMAND A REFUND because you probably have a stolen engine. The odds on both tags falling off are rather high.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well Guys,
I may just end up as the poster child for what not to do, so heed JimmieD! I won't be able to check the back of the block again until next weekend, but if I find that the serial number has been ground off, I will truely be upset! Until then, I thought I read a post that stated a way to figure CPL via pump markings, kind of reverse engineering?

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If your egine can with this pump here is what you have.

CPL 858
[email protected]
[email protected]
VDC 12
Cummins # 3917530
Bosch # 460 424 055
Timing 1.00mm
high idle / No load 2825/2925

When getting parts from Cummins at least around here they won't even take the CPL anymore only Sir # to order parts.

You'll need to look at the rear of the block !

Thanks
CrewCab59

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CC59, thanks man...Anyone have any constructive options if I can't find a Serial#?
Doug

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Well there a few thing that you can do
1. Use the sir# from a different engine to get you parts.
2. don't worry about it.
3. Hope that it isn't hot.
4. If you doing a conversion and your state doesn't check than you'll be fine ,as long as your ok with it.

As a side note

My 94 5.9 doesn't have a tag ,and it been in my GMC for almost 6 years.So I just go on and don't worry about it's only a tag .
Just my .02

CrewCab59

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
There can be other innocent, but stupid, reasons why an engine is missing the CPL plate. Possibly the timing case dowel pin fell out and trashed the case, so the case had to be swapped out. A responsibile mechanic would transfer the data plate to the new timing cover, but then again, not everybody is responsibile!

Like CC said, find those serial numbers if possible.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Helpful thread, I found the serial number on mine... Data plates both gone, but I was told this was a Jasper rebuild.

The numbers on my turbo are 3535699 - H040202780 - Mic

I'm hoping I can cross ref my serial number off the block with what she be!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts