Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok bought a motor , cleaned it up had to make some changes ....I changed the oil pan and pick up to an industrial pan and pick up .....then i needed to chane the oil filter adapter to a different style ...went from one that had the filter straight out ....to one with it facing straight down ...put everything together and went to crank motor over for first time since install and I have no oil pressure ....I tapped oil pressure gauge from right on top of the filter housing .....crank it over no oil pressure none zip zero ...took the line of by filter no oil coming out ....just removed the filter adapter to check gasket ....seems ok ...figured i would crank it and see if i would get oil to come out ....zip zero ...whats going on ....do i need to prime the pump will i only get pressure when I start it up ....don`t want to start it with no pressure ....going nuts have months into this install and now this .....HELP !!! PLEASE....THANKS

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the same problem. Look on the top of the oil filter housing, there is a big (like 19 mm or so) hex head. Unscrew that, there is a big spring and some other stuff maybe in there (don't remember). This regulates your oil pressure. Anyway, remove that stuff, and pour a quart or so down the hole. This will prime the pickup, oil pump, etc, and you'll have oil pressure in another 5 seconds of cranking. Obviously put everything back before you crank it over. I don't know if this is the way the manual would tell you to do it, but I don't see how it can hurt anything.

·
Vendor
2,664 Posts
I use the garden hose type pumps with a drill to prime. But you usually wont get oil pressure(unless youre on the starter for some time) instantly. My engine takes 3-4 seconds after started to build pressure on a mechanical gauge. Had to be filter housing or pickup tube. Gasket on pickup? Tube cracked? Some have had this issue before and it happens with a filter adapter change. Make sure to dump some oil down turbo oil inlet if its sat awhile.

·
Registered
860 Posts
can mixed up oil cooler gaskets block the flow? seems i saw directions to be really careful when stacking the plates/gaskets back together...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys I put it all back together and primed the pump ....Fired it up and 60 lbs of pressure ....thanks for the help much appreciated....runs great !!

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
Cummins B series engines rarely develop any oil pressure when they are being cranked by the starter. My 6BT will usually run for 2 to 3 seconds before the oil pressure light goes out after the truck sets over night. If the truck sets for a week or more it can end up running as long as 6 seconds. This is the reason I always add an oil additive to the oil. I use Lucas oil treatment.

The primary reason for no oil pressure during cranking is the long pick up tube from the oil pan to the pump.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
When I first started my 6BT, after several years of sitting, it took forever (maybe 10sec) for the oil pressure gauge to move. Has run fine ever since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts