Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a mild amount of research I have decided to do a 4bt swap into my 1998 TJ Wrangler. I will mate it to a NV4500 trans. I know I will need to fab mounts and buy adaptors to mate engine,trans and a new exhaust system. But, does anyone have a list of other things such as wiring, gas lines, fuel pump etc. that I also will have to modify or change? Or a suggestion of where to compile such a list.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Here is some info.

- Nv4500 - Gm 96 or newer
- Nv4500 - Dodge 94-2001
- You'll need a dodge engine adapter and bellhousing from a 5.9 94-2001.
-Fuel lines need to be diesel rated ,3/8 main supply line.Fuel pump from Jeep will need to be removed if in tank pull it out and use a metal line for a pick up.
- all your emgine mounts will have to be fabed up,t-case member ( moved ) ?
- wiring will be your biggest thing , a few wires to make a 4bt run.
- oil ,water senors just use them and get brass adapter to mount to Cummins block.

List goes on that will get you started.

CrewCab59

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Crew Cab, Besides starter, what wiring does the engine need to run? does the fuel system have a computer that needs more than a power supply? And are their sensors in the exhaust system that need wired?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Thank you Crew Cab, Besides starter, what wiring does the engine need to run? does the fuel system have a computer that needs more than a power supply? And are their sensors in the exhaust system that need wired?
It's easy to get it to run, getting it to be used like stock is a little more difficult, since you are running a manual, it should be easier than an automatic.

12 volts to the fuel solenoid and the sensor on the drivers side of the block. This needs power when the key is in the on and start position. I used the ign coil wire, because stand accessories like the radio turnoff when you are turning the starter. I ran into problems with mine, if it doesn't see a valid tach signal to know that the engine is running it turns it off after 1.8 seconds, yours may do this, or it may not...i don't know. I don't have a tach hooked up yet, haven't figured out exactly how to mount the sensor.

12 volt high current lead to the starter

12 volt trigger from ign to engage the starter solenoid, i used the one that came with the 360 and just ran a longer wire.

You will need to hook up a NSS to get the key to work right, also need to hook it up for reverse lights.

My setup should be similar, i have an 01 durango with a 5.9, so the PCM structure should be similar. I would HIGHLY suggest getting a FSM.

I am running stainless tubing and two wallbro fuel pickups. Because of the internal fuel pump, the tank wasn't baffeled, necessitating the two pickups.

there are probably more, but this should be a very good start.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I am currently doing a 98TJ swap and I have started a thread specific to this swap in the Buildup section. Not that I think it is any better of a platform to use, but rather for future reference all the info will be in one thread. I think it would be a good idea for any swap platform to have most of the info as centralized as is possible.
I will be writing some wiring and other helpful info as I get time and experience. Unfortunately I have way too many irons in the fire right now and the info is slow in comming. So please feel free to add any info you may have.
Gregg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts