Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Dodge 1500 4x4 with 4BT MT
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought this and we in the process of swapping the tiny intercooler for one from a 5.9. Current routing is terrible with a dozen CAC boots and 90 degree turns everywhere including the first bend which goes out into the wheel well right above the tire (blew out on 2nd test drive)... Have looked and looked for pictures and still don't understand how the stock routing works.
Automotive tire Bicycle tire Tread Synthetic rubber Tire

Since my son doesn't want A/C we removed the condenser coil and lines yesterday which solves the driver's side. However, there is no room on the passenger side if we leave the stock rad in it's position. If we move it anymore the mechanical cooling fan won't clear the shroud.
Thank you for any recommendations and particularly any pictures!

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
The stock radiator may be too large for a 4bt. Those engines run cold. Even in very hot climates an electric cooling fan may seldom come on. Have you looked at the system on a 2500? It and a 1500 would share a common body.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stock radiator may be too large for a 4bt. Those engines run cold. Even in very hot climates an electric cooling fan may seldom come on. Have you looked at the system on a 2500? It and a 1500 would share a common body.
I always thought the thermostat would account for that. However, based on what you are telling me, I should be safe dumping the shroud which opens up plenty of room for moving stuff around.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
You will need a shroud on the radiator. Cooling capacity is greatly diminished without a shroud. What engine was in your 1500 originally? Example in 2002, the 5.9 gas radiator has a core 24 x 18-7/16 where the 5.9 diesel was 19-3/8 x 31-1/2 or 19-3/8 x 36. Can't see how the gas radiator which is much smaller than a diesel could get in the way of your intercooler plumbing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will need a shroud on the radiator. Cooling capacity is greatly diminished without a shroud. What engine was in your 1500 originally? Example in 2002, the 5.9 gas radiator has a core 24 x 18-7/16 where the 5.9 diesel was 19-3/8 x 31-1/2 or 19-3/8 x 36. Can't see how the gas radiator which is much smaller than a diesel could get in the way of your intercooler plumbing.
Originally the smaller v8, the 4.9 I think? Unfortunately it had the radiator shifted offcenter to the passenger side with the a/c condenser on the other side, making it impossible to route the intercooler lines straight ahead.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
Would It be possible to relocated the radiator back to a center position? Might take a little work but would look much neater.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would It be possible to relocated the radiator back to a center position? Might take a little work but would look much neater.
Yeah, that is what we are thinking. Going to move to center, even if we fabricate mounting bolts for it. Also considering an electric fan that would cycle on and off with temperature. That frees it up to move around.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am not a Dodge guy, but having used one for parts, I can tell you that bottom part of your core support is much different from the diesel one. The diesel version is lower and skinnier and pretty much wraps around the charge cooler. Threw it out not long ago actually :-/

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
One thing I notice is you have the industrial fan hub which is a high center position. There was a low center hub that came on the '91.5-93 Dodge Cummins. The standard hub for the 4bt road engines was offset to the driver's side. Are you planning a mechanical fan or electric? That hub you have offers the cheapest possibility for a mechanical but most vehicles can't use it because of lack of hood clearance. The low center hub is scarce and expensive and the offset version is common as dirt but the fan for it is very pricey. A regular Dodge Cummins offset fan which is in the same position is cheapest for that position.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Can you flip the intercooler and go under the core support? Also, I used exhaust pipe for tubing, cheap, plentiful, and can be bent to any angle you need.
My intercooler came from a step van and goes over the radiator.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
Don't think it matters where the inlet and outlet are. Some are up top, some in the middle, and some staggered with one up top and one down low. Just be sure the plumbing isn't where it would be snagged by road debris.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have moved the radiator to a central position and have fabbed mounts for it. Friend has said he will swap my small intercooler for one from a 5.9 which is centrally located. Think it will all work out. Going to try running it without a fan at first and then add electric later if temps are a problem.

·
Registered
12,409 Posts
If the engine is in proper tune, heat usually isn't an issue. 4bts tend to run cold. If you live at high altitude where the engine may be running rich then heat can be high enough to require a fan. Also, if it's under a significant load engine temp will rise.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The one in my 1500 goes down and under the rad.
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive exterior

1 - 15 of 15 Posts