Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

Help with info on 4bt ip pump on tdi vw

34K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Motohead1 
#1 ·
Hey guys. New here but heard alot of good. I have been googling and reading forums on converting a tdi vw injection pump to mechanical. I have read about guys using the 4bt bosche pump. Im very interested in this route but it seems any links i find about this conversion dont work anymore. I have a 2001 alh tdi motor. It is out of an automatic so it should have the 11mm head pump. Anyone have any imput on this conversion???

#2 ·
Welcome.

There are many ways to do a mTDI. I would suggest you hit up tdiclub.com. There are entire threads dedicated to the topic of mTDI swaps, as well as vwdiesel.net.

As far as you having a 11mm pump head, assuming you find a pump from a 4bt that was not a stationary engine, meaning that it was not a generator or the alike, the 4bt pump that you find will come with a 12mm most likely.

Do lots of reading

-Dan

#3 ·
Check out advanceautomotion, they sell one made for the tdi, but a few other places I have heard of either like/ dislike the 4bt pump. The one that I keep hearing about is the Giles MTDI pump on VWdiesel dot net. I read a lot people talking about how well his work is and there is links on that site regarding the bosch pump also.

#4 ·
Giles is the ones I'd narrowed my options down to for advice and parts if I ever get around to going down that path. I have NO personal experience with them but do tend to find out everything I can about a project before jumping in. From the net and local vw racer guys, they were the most confidence inspiring.

Oh Yeah-welcome aboard

Understand that this site is about many diesel engine swaps, yet VW isn't our strong suit. I have no qualms about sending folks elsewhere that will fit their choices and temperament better so I second Dan's recommendation to hit up TDI specific sites and by all means do a build thread here. We all love to read about the diesel swap hobby-regardless of the engine!

danthehandyman
New Registered User
Thanks

Welcome.

There are many ways to do a mTDI. I would suggest you hit up tdiclub.com. There are entire threads dedicated to the topic of mTDI swaps, as well as vwdiesel.net.

#5 ·
Hey guys. New here but heard alot of good. I have been googling and reading forums on converting a tdi vw injection pump to mechanical. I have read about guys using the 4bt bosche pump. Im very interested in this route but it seems any links i find about this conversion dont work anymore. I have a 2001 alh tdi motor. It is out of an automatic so it should have the 11mm head pump. Anyone have any input on this conversion???
The cummins ve pumps don't just bolt up due to the shaft being different length and size . However, i just recently came across a pump that will drop right in place and from what i can tell, it will not need any modifications to work.

#6 ·
The cummins ve pumps don't just bolt up due to the shaft being different length and size . However, i just recently came across a pump that will drop right in place and from what i can tell, it will not need any modifications to work.
"...a pump [?????] that will drop right in place and from what i can tell , it will not need any modifications..." ????????????

??

#7 ·
Was at my pump shop today and he just got in a mechanical tdi pump that is specially built to convert from electronic to mechanical. Has an aneroid top but not sure what size plunger. Gonna call about pricing and availability here next week and see what's up. It's a custom made housing.

#9 ·
Unless you can build the mtdi pump yourself, it's far cheaper to go electronic and have the ecu tuned/immobilizer deleted. If you have to ask how to build the pump, it's not something you should be doing yourself. I've seen it done successfully a few times by people at home, but I've had to fix far more screw ups from people that tried to build their own.

Once you strip the harness, there's only a handful of wires. I've yet to see an mtdi pump professionaly built available for less than 1K. For that much you can buy a tune, immo delete, set of nozzles, a hanes manual for wiring diagrams, a few cases of beer, and have money left over.

This is a stripped factory harness for a swap into a race car I did.

#15 ·
I realize this thread is ancient, but I need some assistance and your PM inbox is full. So hopefully you get this and can help.
Hi,
I was looking at a thread that's kind of old and you posted a pic of an ECM and part of a wiring harness.
I was wondering if you might be interested in filling me in on the wires that are necessary to the operation of the ALH TDI engine. I'm putting it into a fiberglass dune buggy, mated to an air cooled bus transaxle. I could go the mechanical injection pump route, but I really want to keep the option of having performance programming.

#12 ·
98-99 Jetta Tdi, the ALH in them is MTDI basically and makes for a easy swap. You can also get this motor out of a B3 passat. This version of the ALH is pretty easy to come buy. You can get a full swap with a 02a for around 1500-2500. You can post the 02a for sale for around 200-300 and have it sold pretty quick. The 99.5+ are all DBW cars and have a ton of electrical junk to scrap. Its very easy to strip a harness down for one and get a tune for it (tune will run you 400-600) and have everything deleted.

#13 ·
No offense here man, but there's a lot of wrong info in there that doesn't need to be spread. The motor in a 96-98 mk3 jetta or b4 passat is a 1Z or AHU. The B3 passat outside the US would've had a full mechanical 1.9L IDI engine known as the AAZ. Any VW IDI diesel is a turd compared to a tuned up DI motor. Unless you get one for free, don't bother with them. For 99.5 you could get an ALH in the new mk4 jetta/golf/beetle, but their ecu is an oddball, not port flashable, and is much dumber than the 00-03 ALH ecu's.

The AHU and 1Z motors are electronically the same as an alh in regard to sensors. In ony of my cars I'm running an ALH with an AHU computer and harness. The ALH computer is smarter, but the harness connects to all the same things. ALL tdi's are DBW. Only the old IDI's were cable driven. Stripping an AHU harness VS an alh harness is than 20 minutes difference in work. Not even worth putting into consideration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.