Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post and I hope someone can help me. I have a Ditch Witch backhoe that has a Deutz F2L511 air cooled engine in it. It always starts, but blows black smoke and then slowly dies after 5 minutes. The injector pump has an "extra fuel solenoid" that pushes a pin down at cranking. The pin is supposed to stay depressed until the engine is at a high RPM and then push back out. This is not happening. Last year it did this and then it fixed itself. The injector lines both are getting fuel but the mixture seems messed up. What I find strange is black smoke means too much fuel but it acts like it starves after 5 minutes. I changed the lift pump, fuel filter, checked the fuel separator and blew the fuel tank lines out. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
4,161 Posts
Black smoke is the result of too much fuel OR too little air. Check your air intake system for the usual plugged air filter or a critter nest in the air plumbing piping.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't have the 511 but I have the precursor MWM engine that became the basis of the 511 and later engines.

Based on what you've said and eliminated, if it was me, I'd be looking at removing the pump and have a shop test it. That button should be popping back up on it's own, if it's not I would suspect something is not right on the inside of that pump.

One last thing you might try is rigging up a temporary tank that can gravity feed directly into the pump, just to ensure you've eliminated every potential problem.

Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts