Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:

I've searched high and low, made phone calls to Cruiser shops, and even contacted Hercules Power Products direct and have come up short on information regarding vehicle applications.

I stumbled onto a great little engine: Hercules D298ER, 4.9L 6Cyl Diesel. SAE3 Bell-housing, Direct Injected (Rosa Mesa Injector Pump), 17.1:1 Compression, Naturally Aspirated, 92HP, 213FP Torque at 1600 RPM. This was a military generator at one point.

I'm very curious if any of you reading have/know anybody who has run this motor in any vehicle, or may be able to provide some leads on sources for adapters, suggested tranny/t-case applications, etc. This is my first exposure to the diesel world of conversions, and any help with my research is gratefully accepted.

-Woody

Attachments

·
Registered
296 Posts
Theres alot of oddball industrial diesels that there inst any support for, yours might be one. If it fits, its possible. just need to hang it in the hole and hook a transmission to it. find a bellhousing and figure out how to mate it up with a custom plate. there some good shops here in the NW that are used to doing this stuff. thats where Id start anyway.

that looks like a sweet motor, looks huge! Will that pump handle variable rpms?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
There are a lot of step vans with 3.7 liter Hercules 4 cylinder turbo engines, usually backed by a Ford four speed. Years ago there was a company that sold a kit to install these into Dodge Power Wagons. I think the company was called MARS. I think you'd be happier all around with a turbo 4 in your Cruiser.

·
Registered
134 Posts
There are a lot of step vans with 3.7 liter Hercules 4 cylinder turbo engines, usually backed by a Ford four speed. Years ago there was a company that sold a kit to install these into Dodge Power Wagons. I think the company was called MARS. I think you'd be happier all around with a turbo 4 in your Cruiser.
This is interesting; I HAVE a 3.7 4banger Hurcules in a welder/genset.... I had at one time thought about a conversion, but couldn't find much support to do it..

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Does it run

A hammer like that may be a bit much for a lc

If it does run it may not need much at all to last a million miles

I know some of the Herc gas sixes in boats had 4 bolt mains they were tough

Yea a 4 banger may be suited better for the lc imo too..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts