Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ,,

I have been watching several little cummins sites about swaps. I have a wonderfull 3.3 just waiting to jump in somthing, once I can nail down an auto adapter for the ASE4 bellhouse.

Here is my web site dealing with veg oil.. The detials page covers the concept. www.oilcrusher.5u.com

Daniel

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is the first time I have ever heard about putting gasoline into your veggie oil. I just started Diesel Mechanic school and will have the opportunity to experiment with Alternative Fuel sources in the near future. After reading this article, this definately is something I'd be interested in looking into further.

I do have one question though...since you are getting 40% greater power, is this putting extra strain on the parts therefore shortening the time between rebuilds? I would think for strain=more wear and tear.

Great Idea and would love to hear more about it.

·
Registered
167 Posts
SAE 3 versus SAE 4?

MOOKTANK,

I currently have a small-block 727 that will hopefully be mated to a 1989 Cummins 4BT. Regarding the Phoenix adapter website that you previously referenced, can you tell me what the difference is betewn a SAE 3 versus a a SAE 4 (I assume it has something to do with the bolt pattern at the back of the Cummins engine)?

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
278 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
where did ya get those numbers?

Where are you getting the 40% increase from? Is this a guestimate by you, or do you have a way to back up your numbers? Just wondering, thanks:)

·
Registered
232 Posts
I at first wondered where he got the 40% number from.

Then I read the article, and that is what the farmer claims.

Shoulda done our homework first :D

·
Registered
854 Posts
This is the first time I have ever heard about putting gasoline into your veggie oil.
I figured if it works for Veggie oil, should work for used motor oil, too. It does.....just fine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Gasoline has ingrediants that are bad for diesel injection pump seals.
Use it if you want but not me--never.
40% is not and cannot be a real accurate number.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Gasoline has ingredients that are bad for diesel injection pump seals.
That may have been at one time in the past, but the injection pump shops I have talked to said all the seals are now made of Viton to deal with the ULSD and biodiesel now on the market. As far as I know, gasoline doesn't attack viton. The rubber tipped needles used in carb rebuild kits are always viton.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Gasoline has ingrediants that are bad for diesel injection pump seals.
Use it if you want but not me--never.
40% is not and cannot be a real accurate number.
Great! You just keep burning your $3.50/gallon diesel and leave the free stuff for those who know it works it fine.

I wouldn't beat the guy up over a power increase claim, I'm sure he's just tossing out a number as a best seat of the pants guesstimate. Give him a break. He's got a really cool setup there and I'd like to know more about it.

How does the chinese screw press work, how much do they cost or is something a guy could build? I'm guessing it's something similiar to a large hydraulic screw pump? What is the ratio of sunflower seeds to oil produced? Just trying to get an idea if we are talking buying buy the truckload or in smaller quantities.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I use some bio-diesel but won't add gas to it. Never intended to flame the guy or anyone.
Just giving long followed advice!!!!
I have been looking into doing what he is doing!!!
The oil can be extracted and processed to make a great fuel.
I'm still looking for the land and equipment.

·
Registered
854 Posts
What is the ratio of sunflower seeds to oil produced? Just trying to get an idea if we are talking buying buy the truckload or in smaller quantities.
Do a google search for Dan McAmoil and you'll find a Farm Show magazine article,

http://www.farmshow.com/issues/30/04/300403.asp

where he says: "I have to grow 500 acres of 100 bu. per acre milo to net enough money to buy all the fuel I need for my farm. But it takes only 100 acres of sunflowers to grow all the fuel I need for my farm - about 11,000 gal. of oil."

So......about 100 gallons of oil per acre, give or take on where your soil and sunlight are. If you burn 1000 gallons of oil in your truck a year, you'll need about 10 acres of good farm soil.

There are other oil crops that are better than sunflowers, according to this chart:
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html#iodine

Rapeseed (Canola), coconut, and various nut trees make more oil per acre. Jatropha is the big one folks are looking at, as it well grow in the crappiest conditions, and yields twice as much oil as sunflowers. Then there are some oil-producing algaes that are being studied very closely, as well.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Oh yeah.....call the local grain elevators for oilseed prices. I know for sure you can buy seed in 50 lb sacks and also 1000 lbs tote bags (you need a fork lift to unload and empty them) or also just buy them in bulk and have them dumped into the back of your truck (cheaper) or buy direct from the farmer (cheapest)

·
Registered
232 Posts
This is too cool a thread to let die into obscurity.

LincTex, hope you're still around. Did you try mixing gas with waste motor oil? How'd it go?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Heck with thinning it out. Just convert your engine to run it straight. Add filter, fuel switch, extra tank and heat. Good to go.

·
Registered
212 Posts
But then again. If the gasoline can really some how create that much better mileage I would do what he does. Something just doesn't sound right though. Not saying it is not the truth but Gasoline has less BTU than diesel or oil. I get the same to less mileage running SVO. I don't see how adding a Less BTU per unit fuel is going to give better MPG? But I really like the idea. When I move back home to the ranch I'm going to have to grow some sunflowers :). They look cool if anything.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I wonder if thinning the SVO with the gas=better atomization of the fuel in the cylinder, which may explain the difference between SVO and SVO+87 octane. Reminds me of adding 2 ounces of acetone to 10 gallons gas to increase the fuel economy 30%.

Anyone know the difference in viscosity between gas and #2 diesel? My friend with the PowStroke put gas in by accident once and he said when he switched tanks to the tank of gas, the engine idled very fast; he said it was practically screaming. Long story short, after he dumped the gas and added diesel there seems to have been no harm done, but that it maybe cleaned things out a bit. I don't dispute that diesel had more BTUs than gas, but with that story in mind, I wonder if the light viscosity of gas has something to do with an apparent increase in horspower. Why else would the PS idle very fast? His is a commonrail version before anyone asks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts