Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO here goes.. I have found and purchased a p-pumped 4bt recon with 56k mated to an Allison out of a frito-lay truck. I may have started this backwards but I was looking for a quality engine before I looked for a chassis besides I got this for a great price. I have my engine and tranny but I don't know what vehicle I want to swap. I have been wanting to put a 4bt into a k5 for a while but mating my engine will be much more costly that using what I already have.

I would like suggestions on 4x4 vehicles that could accommodate the Allison in the transmission tunnel with minimal modification. Any info on what else may be attached using the adapter ring between the block and the allison would be great as well.

Thanks in advance,

Zach

IMG_0249.jpg

Attachments

·
3,907 Posts
Something with a long wheelbase would allow a divorced Tcase.

Crewcab long bed with a body lift would likely be easiest.

Use the brand that is most readily available in your area, 3/4 or 1 ton would be better than 1/2 ton.

Unless of course you have a specific brand preference.

Here in Alaska I would likely build a 1 ton Chevy crewcab, something pre '92 as the military and several service companies are still liquidating their fleets of those.

Lots are diesel (6.2s and some early 6.5s) most have a D60 in the front, with a NP203 T-Case.

Plenty have the engine pre drilled for the anchor chain (windowed from the rods), so they are cheaper still. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info! I've found more out about the transmission and it is an allison at545nrm... Unfortunately not a 1000 but still a solid unit. I was checking into divorcing the t-case as you suggested and there seems to be a lot of benefit to doing that. I'm boing to go do some more homework but I think I may opt to finding an over drive transmission since I plan on a few frequent road trips. I'm going to revise my budget a bit and see what I can put together!

·
3,907 Posts
If you plan to change the trans then a bolt on (married) transfer case makes sense.

I only suggested a divorced box as I expect any that would bolt to an Allison would be hard to find, and prohibitevly expensive.

If you want an overdrive automatic, there are several out there.

For a larger vehicle (like a crew cab) a 4L80, 5R110, or a 47RH seem to be the best reccomendations for durability.

I point that out as there are seveal people that have tried some of the lighter duty OD autos and several of them have had severe durability issues.

Some of them can be reinforced, but from what I've seen that is cost prohibitive compared to running a nearly stock version of one of the transmissions I mentioned.

Your Mileage May Vary, good luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been a while but I went to go do some homework. Thank you so much for the transmission suggestions Erik. It looks like I am going with the 4l80e. They are plentiful and I have found many with low mileage for around $500. I'm interested in one with 5000 miles on a rebuild for that price that also includes a right side drop tcase. I hate to drive six hours each way but it may be worth the ride. Speaking of $500 I grabbed a full chevy adapter set-up of ebay for that price as well so I am getting things lined up and appreciate the help. Now just have to find the right project vehicle!

wbdave- The allison is heading out the door but if I dropped it in your back yard it'd leave a mark. ;) She's a beast.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't want to be negative in any way.
Couple things to consider: There is a lot of discussion on the Chev 400 adaptor set with the wave ring. Durability of the wave ring and poor centering / run out of the converter have mentioned a lot. Also the 4L80e is the weakest of the 3 trans mentioned.
47Rh need no controller and uses factory Dodge adaptor set. Or 47RE with a controller. Least of the issues.
Destroked adaptor set with the updated E4OD (4R100?) requires a controller but very good.

·
Registered
644 Posts
A right side drop will put you on the exhaust side of the motor. If you don't have a ton of lift you'll be scramblin for room.
Al

1 - 8 of 8 Posts