Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK you know on new diesel you can get them to go up to about 1200 rpm and stay that why by a flick of a switch or by pushing down on the parking brake. I was wondering if any one new how do do that on the 4bt casue i know that they are not electronicly control?

·
Registered
854 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
4BT High Idle

OK you know on new diesel you can get them to go up to about 1200 rpm and stay that why by a flick of a switch or by pushing down on the parking brake. I was wondering if any one new how do do that on the 4bt casue i know that they are not electronicly control?
I installed a locking 'T' handle manual cable to my VE pump throttle hookup. I just pull it out and turn it 90 degrees to lock it to set the idle speed. So I can set my engine RPM at any point.

81 J10; 4BT; SM-465; NP208; 3.31 Diffs.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I installed a locking 'T' handle manual cable to my VE pump throttle hookup. I just pull it out and turn it 90 degrees to lock it to set the idle speed. So I can set my engine RPM at any point.

81 J10; 4BT; SM-465; NP208; 3.31 Diffs.
The older Dodge pickups had this option available. I have never actually seen a OEM one though. Anyone else ever see one? A factory option hand throttle 81-93' ish ?

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
The older Dodge pickups had this option available. I have never actually seen a OEM one though. Anyone else ever see one? A factory option hand throttle 81-93' ish ?
I have one of those throttle controls on an 90 Dodge Cummins. If it wasn't so much trouble to untarp it I shoot a picture of it and post it. My 89 doesn't have one.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have one of those throttle controls on an 90 Dodge Cummins. If it wasn't so much trouble to untarp it I shoot a picture of it and post it. My 89 doesn't have one.
I looked into buying the parts for it a few years ago and it is NS1 now...(obsoleted)

·
Registered
854 Posts
I looked into buying the parts for it a few years ago and it is NS1 now...(obsoleted)
I was looking at the throttle linkage set-up on the early 6BT I have, I think you could modify the cruise control cable to make it into a pull handle style throttle.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I was looking at the throttle linkage set-up on the early 6BT I have, I think you could modify the cruise control cable to make it into a pull handle style throttle.
That cruise control cable is NS1 now too...

But there are numerous places to install a locking push/pull cable on the Dodge Cummins throttle bracketry.

Not at all like the 4BT linkage bracketry I have seen, very primative looking, but it get's the job done.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts