Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
84chevyguyid, Nice setup!! Would you have the thermostat # for that setup or a serial to use? It is smaller than the Dodge. I am doing pretty much the same setup without air for now in my F800 Cummins 4x4 that was gas.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Johnny, it's probably close. I have one of the alternator arms I'll mount to a head tomorrow and see where it stands. I have the complete list of parts on that unit and it has close to 30 parts counting all the bolts. Cummins must have thought the engine needed more support. I believe I counted 7 bolts that hold the main bracket to the block. 1-M8, 3-M10, and 3-M12. With all the accessories attached, I bet it weighs 100 lbs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does the sanden compressor have a spacer on it? I was playing around today mocking up the compressor I had on hand (24 valve)? and it was 1/8 behind the ribs on the rest of the setup ?

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
If you're using the Ford/Freightliner ac bracket, the Dodge compressor is not correct. You need the compressor for a medium duty truck. I didn't even think the bolt pattern was the same on the Dodge.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
786 Posts
I believe we used the Sanden 4474 on the last project. There are multiple options to choose from depending on how you plan to setup your lines

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey I just bought the parts for the mid-mount A/C conversion for my p-pump 24 valve, and I ordered the 3921382 water outlet thinking it was the tensioner support bracket. Also had it powder coated black before I realized the error. Just wondering if anyone would be interested in it? I don't need it and I can't see any reason in keeping it around.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Hey I just bought the parts for the mid-mount A/C conversion for my p-pump 24 valve, and I ordered the 3921382 water outlet thinking it was the tensioner support bracket. Also had it powder coated black before I realized the error. Just wondering if anyone would be interested in it? I don't need it and I can't see any reason in keeping it around.
got a picture??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Has anybody used this setup on a OBS style Ford? I have heard that a 6BT with A/C will not fit in a OBS style Ford with the A/C located in factory position. Destroked sells a front accessories conversion for $695 which is a tad over my budget, I'm searching for alternatives. All the shops I have talked to are unsure if this setup will work or not in my application. I hate to buy the parts in hopes that it will work then be set back that much more if it doesn't.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Usually the Ford frames are wide enough to use the 90 deg down water inlet. Won't clear the Chevys though. On those you use the straight out inlet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for the replies; although, the question I had pertained mainly to the high ac bracket setup. Companies such as Destroked is attempting to sell me a front accessory kit which is handy as it retains the Ford factory accessories; however, it is very expensive. I would also have to source the Ford factory accessories as all of them on the truck I bought are gone. With that being said I would like to retain the alternator and A/C pump on the Cummins engine.I just wanted to make sure that this would fit in a 1996 F350 and was hoping someone has tried it. Destroked told me, "we are unfamiliar with a industrial 5.9 and have no idea if it would fit and strongly recommend against trying it".

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
The Ford/Freightliner high mount bracket probably won't fit stock factory accessories. The alternator normally found on that unit is Delco/Remy J180 style. Typical alternator for medium duty trucks. Those would be 21si, 22si, and 24si models. That doesn't mean you couldn't adapt a Ford alternator. Would just need to make some adapting parts. The ac compressor used with that bracket is also a medium duty truck item. A Ford FS10 compressor won't bolt to that bracket. There are also some newer custom made brackets that will use stock Ford parts. He's a link to one of those. Not cheap either. http://duiser.com/shop/diesel-conversions/cummins-4bt-and-6bt-accessory-mount/#!prettyPhoto

41 - 60 of 78 Posts