Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Here's a link to one on ebay. Not positive but I'm pretty sure this is the correct unit. It's from a Ford Sterling truck with the Cummins engine. Brand new for $206. The same guy also has rebuilt ones for half that. You can also get a Ford Motorcraft for around $600.http://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-2000-Ford-Sterling-OTR-Truck-AC-Compressor-NEW-/161124505703?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make:Sterling&hash=item2583c4d867&vxp=mtr
Do not buy from this guy, crap quality. My compressor was sold as a 8 groove pully showed up with a 5 groove. The rear manifold with the fitting is backwards and the overall quality is lacking big time.

·
Registered
858 Posts
The mounting feet have a different spacing top to bottom. You can't turn the compressor 180* and mount it. The manifold on the back can be unbolted and turned but at this stage I want to know how they are going to fix this before I go opening up the compressor. I am still left after all that with what looks like a poorly rebuilt compressor with a 5 rib clutch.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
That compressor is not a Ford Sterling. Did you contact the seller? The outlet ports on the correct compressor are in the 2:00 o'clock position as viewed from the back. You can rotate the back plate on the compressor to the correct position but that doesn't help the 5 groove pulley.

·
Registered
858 Posts
That compressor is not a Ford Sterling. Did you contact the seller? The outlet ports on the correct compressor are in the 2:00 o'clock position as viewed from the back. You can rotate the back plate on the compressor to the correct position but that doesn't help the 5 groove pulley.
Yes waiting for a reply. It's definantly not what was advertised or what I bought.

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I'm not getting anywhere with Old Air on obtaining the fittings I need to connect this compressor (was purchased as a Sanden 4474) to their universal hose kit. Is there a a manifold or adapters that connect here? I'm not sure what to ask for, or where to get it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Finally gotten around to mounting new ac compressor,drier and the orfice tube on my 85 gmc 6bt swap. Used the sanden comp and the high mount bracket. What weight ac oil are you guys using? How much charge for the crew cabs? thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry for the thread necro. The OP's pics are gone, but I'd like to put an AC compressor on the Cummins in my 72 Blazer. It has a stock Dodge low mount on it.

Any idea if the high mount set up will work? Seems I have the same frame spacing as the OP (Chevy, etc).

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Don't know if there's much frame difference but here's some photos of the high mount system in place in an '87 blazer. You'll note this engine has the vertical oil filter. Don't know if there's any issue with the horizontal one common on most 4bts. Back of the ac compressor and oil filter are close as you can see. Also, here's a photo of the complete assembly on an engine. This one has the Ford inlet pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here's some photos of the same setup in a C20. I also have some dimensions in there for the AC hoses to match up to an 85 condenser.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Here's some photos of the same setup in a C20. I also have some dimensions in there for the AC hoses to match up to an 85 condenser.

I was lucky to find a 1st gen CAC equipped 6BT fan pulley and mounted it to a 3rd gen bracket to get the clearance needed.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Subrutus, that is interesting. Those shorter pulleys use different mounts so the belt alignment is correct. Only the '91.5-93 engines used it. Here's what the 2 pulley designs look like. Didn't realize that pulley would fit the 3rd gen mount. Learned something new. I have one of each of those mounts and never thought about the early pulley might fit the later mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
196 Posts
I gave it a try and it works.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts