Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
81 - 94 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Grendel, are you talking about the high mount AC parts? If you have a 4bt, those parts will mount to it. They never came on a 4bt but were on tons of 6bt's in trucks and buses. One area you have to be aware of is the engine mounts. The bottom bolts in that AC mount occupy the holes often used for the engine mounts on a 4bt. There can be other minor issues depending on what vehicle you plan to put it in. Biggest issue is often the cost. Tennessee Diesel Conversions sells the complete setup excluding the bolts for $1425. See photo below. Might seem expensive, which it is, but those parts are all Cummins except the compressor and alternator. If you could get the parts off an engine in a salvage yard you may save quite a bit. There are also AC brackets that put the compressor on the driver's side of the vehicle. Those were often found on Case backhoes. The AC compressor on those runs off a separate V belt instead of the 8 groove. Not a cheap setup either but less than the other one.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Rob's list is just the main parts of that puzzle. Which water inlet are you using. I have the complete list of all the bolts, roll pins, O rings, etc if you need them. Here's the list.

3930822 Main AC mount
131584 Roll pins (2 req) Aligns unit to block.
3008468 1/2" NPT plug
3008469 3/4" NPT plug (may not be needed depending on you coolant plumbing)
3900630 M8x1.25x20 Flange Head bolt (2 req) Attaches Small L brace
3900679 M10x1.5x80 Flange Head bolt (3 req) Attaches Lower Water Inlet
3906697 O Ring (2 req) One between mount and block and other seals lower water inlet.
3910495 M12x1.75x30 Flange Head bolt (3 req) The length of these would change with engine mounts.
3921382 Lower Water Inlet (this one points straight down)
3941929 Optional Lower Water Inlet (this one points straight out to the side)
3920862 Upper Alternator Mounting Arm
3930820 Lower Alternator Mount
3052061 1/2x13x1 Bolt (Attaches alternator to upper arm) Probably only non metric bolt on the engine.
3903105 M12x1.75x150 Flange Head bolt (Attaches alternator to lower mount)
3903210 M12x1.75 Flange Head Nut (For above bolt)
3900621 M8x1.25x25 Flange Head Bolt (2 req) Attaches upper alternator mount arm to head.
3900623 M10x1.5x25 Flange Head Bolt Attaches lower alternator mount to main bracket.
3922606 M10x1.5x45 Flange Head Bolt Attaches lower alternator mount to main bracket.
3924068 Small L Brace
3930838 Tensioner Mounting Plate
3978021 Tensioner
3900631 M8x1.25x25 Flange Head bolt. Attaches tensioner mounting plate to main bracket.
3904446 M10x1.5x70 Flange Head bolt. Attaches tensioner to mounting plate.
3285102 Upper Water Outlet (This one points straight up)
3923331 Water Outlet Seal
3926972 M8x1.25x70 Flange Head bolt (2 req) Upper water outlet to head.
3900632 M8x1.25x35 Flange Head bolt Upper water outlet to head.

Below are the parts diagrams for the 2 sections of that setup. The first is the main ac bracket and the second is the alternator parts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I would like to ask again a question about A/C fittings for the Ford/Sterling 7h15 compressor. There are pictures of it all over this thread.

This compressor has a "WH" head with the fittings clocked at about 2 o'clock. What are they? Threads are too fine to be universal o-ring or insert o-ring. I found these "WH" fittings described as "Ford o-tube pad" by a compressor vendor. But I can't match that description with anything from the online AC vendors. What am I missing?

thanks
kevin

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
The compressor you reference had several applications. It came on the '99-08 Sterling and also on earlier Ford F800 trucks equipped with the Cummins 5.9. That one is an SE7H15. See photo below. Also came on Freightliner trucks. I do not find a WH head in the Sanden catalog. The only 2 in that 51 deg angle are the WN and WY. Both have the same ports which are M8XP1.25 bolts and a pad (UG) type . For some reason that doesn't seem to match the photo I have because there are no bolt holes in that area. Did a bit more research and there is a WH head. Trying to read a Sanden catalog is like trying to decipher Greek. This is sort of a guess but I believe the ports are 3/4-16UNF and 7/8-14UNF. Appears to require a #0013 and #0015 O ring. An ac shop could tell you for certain.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I bought the compressor as part of a kit from Scott (crewcab59) about 8 years ago. A standard male #8
Motor vehicle Camera lens Automotive tire Reflex camera Digital camera
Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Car
o-ring fitting which I think is 3/4-16 screws into the discharge port about a turn and a half - the threads on the compressor are just a bit more fine.

What Sanden rear head is everyone else using? If I have an oddball head then maybe I can just it switch out. The 2 o'clock position for outlets is perfect.

yeah taking the compressor off the truck and to an AC shop is starting to make sense, even here in rural Maine.

thanks for all help,
kevin

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
The head you have is the standard for that setup. According to the charts, a #8 JIC flare or SAE O ring are both 3/4-16. Are you sure your fitting is UNF and not metric? Any hydraulic shops close by?

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
The answer turns out to be stupid simple: the WH head takes universal male o-ring (MOR) fittings.

The confusion caused by the only male fittings in my universal hose kit were male insert o-ring fittings which have a coarser thread. For instance #8 o-ring is 3/4-18 while #8 insert o-ring is 3/4-16.

It took an experienced AC guy almost half an hour of flipping thru Sanden literature to figure it out!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm in the middle of going my ac on dual air Suburban. The WH head as used on the f800 setup is a bit of an oddball. The discharge side is, as you say, a male o'ring tube fitting using threads that are 3/4-18. The suction side is 7/8-18. Don't confuse male o'ring fittings with male insert o'rings.....two different animals. Of all the places that I've searched, that sell fitti gs, hose, etc, Coldhose.com seems to have the best selection.(I'm in no way associated with Coldhose, just a happy customer)
I have found d that the 3/4-18 and 7-18 fittings are offered in a somewhat limited variety compared to the 3/4-16 and 7/8-14 offerings. Coldhose does also have an assortment of replacement heads for Sanden compressors. At 25 bucks they might be a cheaper alternative than making new hoses to fit the WH head.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Well said and spot on CumminsBronc. Where were you a month ago when I needed you! LOL
i
As an aside, the suction side of the evaporator on my 77 f250 required a #12 male INSERT o-ring. Somehow I had to convert from #12 to #10 by the time I got to the compressor. coldhose had a #12 male insert o-ring to #10 beadlock hose but only straight. I ideally wanted a 135 degree bend but coldhose was able to custom make a 90 degree fitting for me. Cost a whopping $25. So I'm another happy coldhose customer.

Also the ports on the WH head were in an ideal spot for my build. No hope of using standard Ford hoses, I invested in a beadlock crimping tool so now making my own hoses is easy and pretty cheap.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well said and spot on CumminsBronc. Where were you a month ago when I needed you! LOL
i
As an aside, the suction side of the evaporator on my 77 f250 required a #12 male INSERT o-ring. Somehow I had to convert from #12 to #10 by the time I got to the compressor. coldhose had a #12 male insert o-ring to #10 beadlock hose but only straight. I ideally wanted a 135 degree bend but coldhose was able to custom make a 90 degree fitting for me. Cost a whopping $25. So I'm another happy coldhose customer.

Also the ports on the WH head were in an ideal spot for my build. No hope of using standard Ford hoses, I invested in a beadlock crimping tool so now making my own hoses is easy and pretty cheap.
Kladd, who's crimper did you go with? I'm thinking of buying one but not sure if I want to spring for an expensive one.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Kladd, who's crimper did you go with? I'm thinking of buying one but not sure if I want to spring for an expensive one.
I went cheap with a Vintage Air crimper from Summit. I mount the tool in a vice and just use a 3/4" wrench. No impact needed or recommended. At $245 (a few months ago) seems to work great but I haven't pressure tested the system yet....

81 - 94 of 94 Posts