Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am Nate. Currently a Senior in high school. I have 2 vehicles that are just begging for a transplant. A FJ62 and a Jeep Wrangler.

However I have rules out the 4BT for my jeep due to weight and clearence issues. I am looking at a B 3.3 conversion. Smaller, shorter, and easily tuned for more power.
check out this conversion.
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/showthread.php?t=112807&highlight=diesel+jeep

This is what I am hoping to do to my Jeep.
I really like the B 3.3 because it weights about the same as a SBC and the suspension will not require to much modifications if any.

As for my land cruiser I was thinking about a GM 6.2L V8 diesel.
6BT is to heavy and to big and I hear 4BT are shakers with a 2500 RPM red line.

I would like to hear what you guys have going on in the ways of diesel conversions.

-nate-

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi, I am Nate. Currently a Senior in high school.

As for my land cruiser I was thinking about a GM 6.2L V8 diesel.
6BT is to heavy and to big and I hear 4BT are shakers with a 2500 RPM red line.

I would like to hear what you guys have going on in the ways of diesel conversions.

-nate-
Wish I would of caught diesel fever in High school..

here is a link to a 6.2 conversion... There is also a guy here in Utah with Wasatch Cruisers that dropped one in his Fj40.( not the one in the link)
http://www.geocities.com/Baja/3480/diesel.htm
6.2 get a bad rap, but I;d still think a 3.9 Cummins would be and "engine for life"... I would drop a 6.2 ( later years) in my cruiser ...very simple conversion for Land Crusiers IMO.
Here are some great motor mounts for FJ40s and 55 IIRC that are available.

·
Registered
329 Posts

When I bought my Jeep, the PO put a 6.2 in it. I got 20 mpg with 35s and 4.10s. Other than that, it was lacking. I would highly suggest another motor if you are going to swap something in. They make their power at RPMs that would make other Diesels fall apart..... and the power they do make is negligable. My humble opinion of course. They do last and are cheap and easy to repair, a real plus. Weigh it out.

Welcome. If you are bent on a 6.2. Mine has diesel headers which helps greatly if you leave it N/A.

-Austin

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have to say I have never herd of headers on a diesel, I have seen aftermarket manifolds for turbo diesels. V-8's are hard to work on in a vehicle, I much rather use an inline 6, but I cannot justify a 1100 pound engine in a land cruiser. A 4BT is pushing it weight wise in my opinion. If I did use a 6.2L diesel it would be a turbo, and have as little electronics as possible. I have to think that a 6.2 would blow the doors off of a 3F-E equipped FJ62. Its only making like 220 ft-lb, a turbo 6.2 sould be making about 400 something. what you think?..

·
Registered
126 Posts
Seems that the desired 6.2 is the later ones made with stronger heads back in 88-91 IIRC?... Just before the 6.5s...
There is a ton of Humvees running around with GM diesels in them..they still will put out great fuel economy with a 4800lb rig. Turbo would be awsome. The weight of the 6.2 compared to the 2F/3fe should be about the same

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that would look good under the hood of my purple cruiser. Might even get some off the accessories powder coated purple to match. With the 3f-e in there it looks cluttered, all the vaccum lines and egr crap. If that engine can be put in cleanly it would be great. I dont like having lots of black hoses everywhere, it just makes things look bad. Do you about tranny options for use with the 6.2? What about t-case adapters to I can keep the origional t- case with push button 4wd.
-nate-

·
Registered
329 Posts
6.2 is a standard GM pattern. TH400, 700R4, SM465...etc. With adapters, anything is virtually possible from there.

Austin

·
Registered
126 Posts
In the upcoming Dovebid sale there are a bunch of 6.5 or 6.2s up for bid.

FWIW I bet they go cheaper than the Cummins vans... less bidders I would think.

berg

·
Registered
329 Posts
6.2 weight

If you are concerned about weight....... the 6.2 is roughly 1100 pouns in NA form......add turbo, etc you may break 1200 pounds. 4B weight 740 in turbo trim :tongue:

·
Registered
126 Posts
If you are concerned about weight....... the 6.2 is roughly 1100 pouns in NA form......add turbo, etc you may break 1200 pounds. 4B weight 740 in turbo trim :tongue:
might have to agree to disagree on the weight.. I'd like to see specs on that.

I think The 6.2 is about 100lbs more than a big block. 700-800 lbs.
I have been around tow pulled 6.2s , o NA and one turbo and they didn't weigh anymore than a Cummins IMO.
A 6.2 with a TH400& a turbo should be no more than 1000lbs. IMO

correct me if I'm wrong.

arespectfully:smile:

berg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
we need to get some kind of spread sheet on this website that has all the various info about all the different diesels out there.

I know for a fact that cummins makes a better engine than any GM diesel.

I think a little cummins would be great. Just need some clear stats on the engines so I can make the best decision.

·
Registered
329 Posts
6.2 weight

Sorry, I get in the habbit of adding a transmission and meant to speak of drivetrain weight since you have to have a transmission......tcase optional. 1060 is what I read a 6.2 fully dressed with accessories and TH400 with lines, etc.

It is essentially a small block diesel so some components wiegh more than a small block gas so the weight is more inline with a big block.

I forget to be clear sometimes.....doesnt help that I am typing on here when I should be sleeping:smile:

GM doesnt necessarily make a poorer diesel....they made the first available domestic diesel workhorse of the big three. There were areas of weakness like a weaker lower end, head design, and compression ratio of the 6.2. You can buy a new generation 6.2 block, run splayed main caps, lower CR piston and have a great motor.......for the tune of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! The duramax motor is a great platform.

Cummins tends to stand the test of time with "getting it right the forst time". Their overall design has changed relatively little IMHO. Sure they make changes but have a proven platform that gives service life second to none!
-Austin

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sorry, I get in the habbit of adding a transmission and meant to speak of drivetrain weight since you have to have a transmission......tcase optional. 1060 is what I read a 6.2 fully dressed with accessories and TH400 with lines, etc.

It is essentially a small block diesel so some components wiegh more than a small block gas so the weight is more inline with a big block.

I forget to be clear sometimes.....doesnt help that I am typing on here when I should be sleeping:smile:

GM doesnt necessarily make a poorer diesel....they made the first available domestic diesel workhorse of the big three. There were areas of weakness like a weaker lower end, head design, and compression ratio of the 6.2. You can buy a new generation 6.2 block, run splayed main caps, lower CR piston and have a great motor.......for the tune of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$! The duramax motor is a great platform.

Cummins tends to stand the test of time with "getting it right the forst time". Their overall design has changed relatively little IMHO. Sure they make changes but have a proven platform that gives service life second to none!
-Austin
well then whats the "total weight" of a 4bt/th400/np205.

·
Registered
329 Posts
drivetrain weight

TH400 is about 175 pounds. The best I can find for the 4b is 740 pounds. So about 900 pounds. I leave the tcase out because you can run 2wd or 4wd. For giggles, an NP205 weighs about 135-140 pounds full.

Here is where the splitting hairs comes and maybe the root of my misguided and waste of time point to ponder. The 4b is already in turbo trim, whereas the 6.2 is NA. True the weight difference is no more than a passenger. I just get confused when I hear weight issues with 4b, etc and hear 6.2 going in etc.

Sorry for the misguided posts....not trying to stir the pot with anyone.

·
Registered
800 Posts
thats cool. im not trying to be the post police. just want people, like you said, to be aware of facts!

i found 640 as weight for a 6.2 N.A., so ill agree to 100# difference (although the 3.9 is 2.3l smaller displacement!!!)

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts