Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my 2011 threw a rod through the block. Does anyone know of a good bottom end (4 cylinder) that I could swap in. Alternatively, how do I figure out if a different deutz can be swapped in? Like a 912 or even a completely different liquid cooled engine like a Yanmar or Cummins? What would the bolt pattern be?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
What 2011 engine do you have? They made an air cooled, oil cooled and radiator cooled 2011 series engine. None to my knowledge have removable cylinder jugs. You may not be out of luck. You could have the block brazed, welded or pinned back up. What is this engine in? Replacement Deutz 2011 engines are seriously expensive in rebuilt running condition. The problem is, a F3L912 is the same size as an F4L2011 at just half the horsepower. Have you discovered why the engine threw a rod? Old oil, too hot of oil, dirty running conditions, over revving, did the engine jump timing??? The 912/913/914 engines are far more stout than the 1011 and 2011 engines. The 912/913/914 have removable cylinder jugs and a gear driven injection pump. No timing chains or belts, just a belt to run the cooling fan.

My 2011 manual shows a SAE# 6.5, 7.5, 8/10, 9, 10/11.5, and 14 flywheels as being available.

The 912's used SAE #1, 2, 3, and 4 flywheels.

Chris

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine is in a GEHL skid loader. Timing had not jumped. I checked that. Upon further inspection I see that the lower part of the cylinder is also cracked and gone from the rod being thrown. Looks like I have a scrap block. Top end looks OK. So I think wisest thing to do would be to just find a block or short block better yet. The machine is a model 6635 which should have had a 1011. Not sure why they swapped in a 1011. Maybe the original 1011 bit the dust too. Only 3500 hours and now this 2011 has a hole in it. I bought the machine non-running and honestly it looks like with a motor it should be a strong unit. I dont see any leaks or drips around the hydraulics.

So how do I find out what SAE my machine uses? Should I pull the motor or is there a way to tell online? I can't find anything. I am seriously thinking about either a new short block or a cummins. If I go Cummins I need to know my SAE because of the adapter situation.

Oh it is oil cooled with a giant oil radiator and fan that is separate from the engine - similar to a air/water radiator setup. Valve cover shows 83hp.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
If you take a look here, you should be able to identify what size flywheel/flywheel housing your engine has:
http://www.depco.com/buyers-resources/sae-housing-and-flywheel-sizes/

If you search "bolt spacing SAE #4 flywheel housing" into google for example you will find the distance between the centers of the bolts (3-57/64") on the flywheel housing. A caliper or ruler will identify what you have.

The rule of thumb for the 912 series in naturally aspirated form is 20 horsepower per cylinder. You would need an F4L912 to replace it to have the same power rating. I seriously doubt it would fit where your 2011 is, but anything is possible with enough skill and money. Like the Cummins, you would need an SAE adapter, as they are more sizeable industrial engines.

Chris

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its wisest I find either a good clean block with rotating assembly - or at least a block and have my crank turned, buy a new rod, and transfer over hard parts. Do you have any idea where I could find a 2011?

As a side note: do these 1011/2011 throw rods typically? I was thinking no matter what I do I will be having ARP make me some bolts for the caps.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also - would a 1011 block swap in place of a 2011? I think I found a non-turbo 1011 block and if possible I'd love to put my turbo 2011 top end and 2011 injection on that block?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Unfortunately I do not know enough about the 1011 and 2011 to know if parts from one series can be swapped to another. I know the folks at Leid Diesel were boring an oil cooled Deutz 2011 over a few months back when I was there. I bet it too was from a Gehl skid loader. I've heard Foley Engines in Worcester Massachusetts, and Memo Omega in Southlake Texas are the go to places for Deutz diesel engines. You might want to give both a call. Your local Gehl/Bobcat dealer might know of other Deutz dealers in your area. Who knows, they might have a core for cheap that you can rebuild....

Chris

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tip - I am going to call my Gehl dealer, Foley, as well as Memo. Hopefully someone has a block I can drop my parts into.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts