Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, i've been getting my parts together for awhile and finally got around to installing it in my little truck.

i will be getting a 20lb tank, this little one was one i just had sitting around.

ill just be putting it to a push button on the shifter for now, i really would like to get a limit switch and a pressure switch and run them in series with a master switch on the dash so it just comes on at full throttle at 9+ psi of boost.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
havent had it out on the road yet, im doing it more for power tho on this motor. for fuel savings you need some sort of boost sensing adjustable regulator to have a consant ratio in your engine, i only have an on off valve more like a nitrous system for full load power.

·
Registered
49 Posts
so if you want power, why not start with an FMIC and EGR block off plate.

you could run 3 solenoids, 1 master safety on/off, then T out from there and go to the other 2, in 1 of the lines put a restrictor jet and the other no jet, then connect them back together. so that would give you your power shot, and the other gives you a small amount all the time for fuel economy, it wont adjust for changing boost levels but for a cruse should do the job

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lots more work for a IC and the egr is disconneted anyways, nothing going through there. my EGT's never hit over 900 yet so im still a ways from needing one.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A lot of this is exactly what I have been trying to find out about. Increasing the MPGs is what I'm after ultimately, but if there was also a way to incorporate a nitrous type shot on command that would be the :nuke:

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am going to add my two cents and then ask a question one why not just go to someone that has a fork lift shop and get the fuel system from a tow motor (fork lift) that runs on propane and get all then needed fitting for the system i e heater for the gas then run your switch or configuration that you want now the question why did you put the gas before the turbo arent you worried about the gas being heat to the flash point form the heat that the turbo creates or conducts? thus causing a little mess like exsplosion or am i being overly cauious?

·
Registered
208 Posts
i have already seen very few homemade propane setups, but safety was not taken so seriously... but obviously propane into the turbo would be better to be avoided...
I agree on this one, But have no experience with propane turbo diesels, just forklifts. Just out of curiosity, what are your supply gauges set at, how much pressure do you know how to supply. Id like to have a set up on my 12v, not for fuel supply just a power shot when i need it. could you post you before and after parameters, egt, boost pressure.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Also, what kind of timing are you running on the IP? How much does the EGT go up when the propane is added?

140 Posts
Propane is a waste of time on IDI engines, it will cause damage from detonation in the prechambers. As a result the amount of fuel that can be safely injected is very small.
The money would be far better invested in a decent air filter system, VNT turbo or a Myna injection pump.

·
Hangs Out With Dogs
2,588 Posts

·
Registered
5,528 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So its been over a year since this thread started, how did the propane injection end up? Did you get it to work? Power, efficiency?

140 Posts
you're always trying to show the things in a way too much more simpler than it really is, but it's not so problematic as you see...
Its simple because it is. The intake leads into.....the cylinder, which is connected directly to.....the prechamber, which contains.......the glowing atomizing ball which will ignite the propane on contact and cause detonation.

The guy that "did it" is simply injecting little enough that he can't hear the detonation over the normal noise of the engine.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts