Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
Boy John that looks great. I especially dig the intake manifold you fabbed up, neat.. What is the exhaust manifold you used, a high mount Ford?

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
ps what is the plan for the powersteering with the Bendix air compressor in its place?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I agree, that intake looks neat, I bet it would help out on keeping the egts even between the cyls. I can only inmagine what kind of gain you would see with that intake and a ported and pollished head.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The manifold is the stock, low mount, flipped.
The new turbo compressor housing was too large to use it as a low because that manifold has a funny angle to it (yes it is a Ford type).
The power steering / hydro-boost will come off of the hydraulic pump that is coupled to the air compressor.
The hydraulic pump is off one of the big over the road diesels (they can be had for $50-$100 at truck wrecking places).
Jon

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wow. Great lookin' setup. The more of these I see, the more I'm really exited to find one and start workin' on it! Very cool!

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
The manifold is the stock, low mount, flipped.

The power steering / hydro-boost will come off of the hydraulic pump that is coupled to the air compressor.
The hydraulic pump is off one of the big over the road diesels (they can be had for $50-$100 at truck wrecking places).
Jon
Nice Work!

I see that there is a tag on the hyd. pump. Can you give us a part number so I can try to find out the GPM and pressures?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Very cool. I am going to TIG up a similar intake manifold for mine. Did you have any trouble with the base plate warping when you welded the plenum to it? What thickness did you use for the base and the plenum? Thanks.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very cool. I am going to TIG up a similar intake manifold for mine. Did you have any trouble with the base plate warping when you welded the plenum to it? What thickness did you use for the base and the plenum? Thanks.
Oh yes......I used stainless, and warping was a big problem.
Tack everthing you can, and clamp to something solid.
I used 1/4" 304L flar bar stock W/mill finish, if I was to do it again I would go thicker on the base.
I think that it would be easier to use aluminum, but I don't know if the welds would take the vibration.
Jon

·
Registered
38 Posts
That looks GREAT. Looks like it'll be awful tall to clear anything without a major hood scoop or body lift. Not a chance it would clear in my Hummer, but I want it bad.

·
Registered
329 Posts
hood clearance

Hood will clear if you mount it low with casters on the oil pan:smokin:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i have the same air pump. what is the gpm/pressure of the hydro pump on it? i want to run standard powersteering and hydro-assist.
I plan to as well, I just wanted the extra volume for a hyd. winch.
I am not sure on the pressure, but acording to the guy I got it from they are all pretty standard, and that it was common. I guess I'll find out.
He said the main consideration is that the Cummins pumps turn a different direction from the rest.
Jon

·
Registered
21 Posts
Darn I can't see any of the pictures I just get that x. Is there something I have to change??

·
Registered
267 Posts
I am in the same boat as Preston. Is there anything that we have to do to see the pictures?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I fixed the pictures in the first post.
We ended up changing to a Vickers V10 hyd. pump, we had it built for 1400
PSI @ 3 GPM
Here is a picture of it installed (with the coil-over off so you can see it).

Here is the link to the build.....
http://www.jbfab.net/index_files/Page709.htm

Jon

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts