Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
You'd be better off with an M5R2 than that one. They put them in the F150's and can be had fairly reasonable. They aren't an NV45 or ZF but unless you intend on constantly putting over 300 lb-ft thru it every time you shift I bet it would work fine. I have one with 188,000 miles behind a 5.0 which was 185HP, 270 torque. They got a bad name because they have rubber plugs on the back of the shift rails that started leaking and if the owner didn't pay attention to what was happening the tranny burnt up due to lack of oil. Mine started leaking and I took care of it, no problems. That's the risk you take getting a used one, that it was run low on oil. Note, the R2 is the preferred choice over the R1. Trans. longevity is directly related to its torque capacity and how its used.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Had a T5 in my Mustang. Fried it. My approach in planning a vehicle is to over engineer it a little. If I'm not mistaken, the T5s where rated about 300 lbs torque. My 700R4 I'm planning to put in will be built to handle 450 lbs torque. Even though I will be operating at 350, I do not want to have a tranny, or anything else, where the day to day use will see the upper end of it's tolerance. So look for something beefier.

·
Registered
152 Posts
do those mustang guys need a different belhousing for the tremec when they change from a t-5...
i don't know the cummins-ford adapter but will it accept this type of trans?
what is a divorce case?
hey warp drive you cummins puts out 350lbs of torque?
i also have a 700r4 works pretty well.

jbox

·
Registered
713 Posts
The tremec bellhousing bolts to the ford smallblock pattern BUT it's made to use the smaller mustang clutch. The mustang clutch won't bolt to the cummins flywheel. You need to use a truck clutch [11"]. The input spines can work I'm just not sure about the flywheel/clutch clearing the bell.

I would love to run a tremec viper spec T56. 6 speeds and a nice low OD. I think it would be good for a drag truck with a 4bt. I think it's good up to 600ftlbs or something.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts