Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok here is the deal . I am building some pretty decent motor mounts that will bolt into a channel frame . The mounts will double up as shock mount braces and steering box stiffener too . To keep the frame from tweaking I am going to add a removable cross member between the mounts . How much clearance do I need around the pan ?
I have room under the deepest part of the pan and a bit less under the shallow part but it is doable there too . I am using 6bt mounts . How close can I go beside the pan ? Some of my rods run as tight as 3/8 to 1/2 inch on the sise clearance .
4bt's need what ? 3/4 to 1 inch or do I need a foot ?

Bruce
WC53........it is taking tooo long to build .

·
Registered
854 Posts
If you are using 6BT mounts (very stiff) you can probably get by with about 1/4", maybe less. I have the slightly smaller (nearly identical to 6BT) rubber bread van style mounts and I doubt it moves as much as 1/4" on shut down. Shakes the whole truck a little, though ;)

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
If you are using 6BT mounts (very stiff) you can probably get by with about 1/4", maybe less. I have the slightly smaller (nearly identical to 6BT) rubber bread van style mounts and I doubt it moves as much as 1/4" on shut down.

Have you considered the possibility that the engine might be stationary, but YOU (and the truck) might be the ones vibrating? :D

·
Administrator
4,180 Posts
It would be a good idea to factor in a 33% minimum safety allowance for the sag that normally occurs in most rubber mounts as they age and settle. That is 33% of the thickness of the rubber + the minimum clearance required.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It would be a good idea to factor in a 33% minimum safety allowance for the sag that normally occurs in most rubber mounts as they age and settle. That is 33% of the thickness of the rubber + the minimum clearance required.
I agree....
Plus you need to consider the twisting that will be caused during shock-loading of the drive train, if you are doing any off-roading.
Jon

1 - 5 of 5 Posts