Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm a mechanic by trade, and I fabricate alot also. I have a 88 chevy crewcab, with a 6.2 and th400 in it that i'm not happy with. I have a lays van with a good running 4bta/th475 combo also. just wondering how much time it would take to make the swap, using all the mounts from the breadvan and tilting the motor, etc. basically the only fab would be a mount for my a/c compressor, and finding a vbelt pulley to run it. will this engine pull my truck alright on a roadtrip? got a 2000 mile roadtrip planned soon, and wanting a little better mileage than 11-12.
Also, whats a p30 van weigh just for comparison?

·
Registered
187 Posts
if i'm correct, the P30s usually weigh in a little over 6000 lbs. - your pickup will be close if not a little lighter. the P30s fully loaded got around 12-14mpg and when empty got around 18mpg (so i'm told) - as you can see by searching around here you can easily get 25mog without sacrificing low-end grunt.

your 6.2 is only about 50 lbs lighter than the 4bt. the 4bt is also a turbo so you'll be some nice low end to match the torque power you're used to with the 6.2

like mcinfantry says - it's all gears, gears, gears. throw in the right ratio and you'll be happy.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
will the crossmember on the 4wd have to be modified for the 4bt just like the 6bt? will it require any suspension lift to clear the d60 with the 4bt, even if you dont' wheel it? its got 3 leaf 454 springs in the front now.

·
Registered
500 Posts
will the crossmember on the 4wd have to be modified for the 4bt just like the 6bt? will it require any suspension lift to clear the d60 with the 4bt, even if you dont' wheel it? its got 3 leaf 454 springs in the front now.

It will probably depend on where you mount it. If you use the existing mounting points plan on a slight lift or re-arch of the springs. Stock chevy leaves are negatively arched.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Yes, the member will need to be replaced ! When you have your 454 out There will be loose rivets , 90% of the time the member is loose .

The springs will depend on what shape there in !
1. Are the bushings bad ? if so then replace the front springs .
2. You can install a 2'' add a leaf , if your springs are good.
3. They sell a 2'' lift springs.

CrewCab59

1 - 6 of 6 Posts