Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Ford F150 4door lariet 4x4 5.4 automatic, and I will be converting to 4bt with manual trans and case. I am not seeing much info at all on this truck and year model, if someone can help me find some info that would be great. If you have converted one of these trucks I'll take all the info I can. Thank You

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Not sure if any of our guys have done many of the later model trucks. The basic issue you'll probably encounter is your truck is all computer controlled and your engine is totally mechanical. Getting the dash instruments functioning sometimes takes a bit of work. Not sure what stumbling blocks you'll hit going from auto to manual transmission. So many of today's trucks are so interconnected with the on board computer system. Hopefully someone who's been where you're heading can chime in.

·
Registered
60 Posts
There was someone on here that did an I believe an silver 08. 4bt manual and solid axle front end. I am working on an ISB170 4bt auto in an 05 right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This truck for its age is in excellent shape with no dings and no rust, in currently has 175000 miles and gets 13mpg city and 10mpg pulling my 22 pontoon. I am looking for more power and much better fuel mileage. I was wanting to keep it as simple as possible with a manual Ford trans and simplify the electronics. I saw someone had a gps speedometer gauge so they didn't need the computer to see how fast they are going. to avoid the electronics hookup. I am hoping someone with experience on this will give me some suggestions and ideas from everyone. I open for all!!! thanks

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
You might consider your typical trip and load use, as I recall, there are no large mountain ranges in Ill, so that is one easier use.

Ed

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Getting around the PCM may be an interesting task. From my understanding, the speed sensors are at the rear wheel anti lock brake sensors. That signal goes to the PCM which adjusts engine and transmission functions. Since you wouldn't have either to adjust I don't know what would happen. You also have the other gauges in the instrument cluster to worry with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts