Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanna know how many miles are on yalls 4BTs. I feel like 175k is alot, is it? Ive read alot of post and most of you have less that 100k or close to it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
175 k ? is it broken in yet ?

I hope you are not using the synthetic oil . I doubt the rings have had time to take a seat .
Mine is supposed to have 44K on it but I will hold off on saying if that is accurate until I have a peek inside . I can turn it over with a wrench - That happened when I was taking off the flywheel . I was thinking it should be tougher to turn over . I am not sure what the compression is like . I will not know until the truck has passed inspection and is insured.
The engine does not burn blue and smokes only when i screw up on a shift .

Bruce

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,655 Posts
175K is not a lot of miles for a 4B by any means. 500K maybe. You'll go through a rebuild of the injection pump before the anything in the block wears out, IMHO.
I can't tell you how many miles were on my 4B when I bought it. The only PM I did was have the injectors rebuilt after I did my repower.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mine probably has 200k on it and it still runs good, I recently had an issue with the I/P and getting loads of diesel in the motor oil, therefore low oil pressure; as long as that didn't mess anything up I have faith in it for another 100k...

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just picked one up off dovebid with 400 or so. Started and ran great. No smoke. Injector pump had been rebuilt twice. Does have about 1/8 inch crank play.

They parked it because the tranny would not stay in gear.

I have another one with unkown miles. A guess is about 175 based on records. Have not had it running yet. They parked it because of tranny problems as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts