Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea. I read something about 5000lbs. Seems a bit low.

Andrew

·
Registered
225 Posts
The title for my 15ft P-30 donor vehicle listed 6400 lbs.
Carl

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just sold the aluminum off my van for scrap. I only took from the front door back. I left the windsheild area to keep the motor covered for a few weeks. I have the long one, and it weighed 1260 pounds. I would imagine another 200lbs for the rest of it.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
I just sold the aluminum off my van for scrap. I only took from the front door back. I left the windsheild area to keep the motor covered for a few weeks. I have the long one, and it weighed 1260 pounds. I would imagine another 200lbs for the rest of it.
How much did you get from it?what size of sections did you have to cut it into?

·
Registered
64 Posts
First I stripped any non aluminum off. Then I cut around the top and threw it down and cut it into 3 pieces. Cut the back off and into 2 sections. The sides off and left them long. Then I cut the floor out in 3 sections. Stacked it all on my F250 and drove to a close scrapper. Got $.60 per pound for a total of $750ish. I still have 200 pounds about. My brother came up with the idea of making 1 major cut around the front, driving to the scraper and shoving it all off in one piece. Tossing all that weight around kind of sucked and you will probably need a helper. Took 2 saturdays, but it could go faster depending on how motivated you are. Also I used a circular saw with fiber blades and a sawsall to cut it. Sawsall works much better, but the fiber blades are cheap. The scraper I went to was huge and will take any sizes. I may have pics somewhere, i'll find them and post. Also I did this last week so that price for aluminum is current, but he also offered me that price 4 months ago. Hope that helps.

·
Administrator
4,162 Posts
I'd say Carl's figure is really close but until someone actually drives an empty one across a certified scale we won't ever know. The quickest destruction method is to rent a gasoline powered 14" concrete saw (along with a good cartridge type respirator and goggles) and cut it up. If there is a market for used sheet aluminum in your area you can use an air drill with a cobalt bit will drill the rivets out. Used sheet aluminum is currently selling for around $3 per pound in certain southern parts of the country. The average aluminum yield is around 1500 pounds for a 15 footer and 1800 pounds for an 18 footer or 100 pounds per foot of the cargo space.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use a regular circular saw with a regular carbide wood cutting blade, the less teeth the better, prolly 16.

Set the depth correctly and keep your feed speed consistant and it will cut the whole truck with one blade! Just dont hit any steel and it works great.

My father in law scrapped about 15 p30s!! All scrap per truck, counting iron and misc, worked out to be in the $1,700 range. :grinpimp:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Weight

Hey Andrew (Aspoonhour), If your van is currently sitting in Sadalia, you'll be driving it up Santa Fe to get back here to Littleton...yes? There are at least two landscaping places that sell rocks and firewood by weight, and thus have vehicle scales. I was just at one last week to get firewood... I'll bet that if you would show up with even a 6-pack of beer, the guy would take your truck's weight without buying anything. Just a thought. Give me a call when you're ready to pick it up, I'll give you a hand if needed.

RW

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I use a regular circular saw with a regular carbide wood cutting blade, the less teeth the better, prolly 16.

Set the depth correctly and keep your feed speed consistant and it will cut the whole truck with one blade! Just dont hit any steel and it works great.

My father in law scrapped about 15 p30s!! All scrap per truck, counting iron and misc, worked out to be in the $1,700 range. :grinpimp:
A word of caution here would be wise. I have heard of people being killed when the carbides flew off the circular saw blade. Steel would be my concern.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was waiting for the title to come to me in the mail so i could start tearing it down . I dont know if the title is right but it says mfg. capacity in tons 2.5 and it says the weight is 8000 lbs ??? can that be right? it does have the 19.5" wheels and tires.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey savage, are the tires any good on those 19s? I may be interested in window glass and tires and wheels..

How far away from NOLA are you?

·
Registered
8 Posts
the tires look pretty good i dont think they are dry rotted and i will have to get back to you on the front glass, i think they were good too but i will have to check .... I am here in dallas / fort worth

1 - 14 of 14 Posts