Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
4,166 Posts
The average is 100 pounds x cargo area length (100 x 18 = 1800).
If you have a title it would be worth replacing the engine and listing it in the Truck Trader for around $2100 for a quick sale rather than spending one to two days ripping it apart and loading and hauling it to the scrapyard for $700.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I just got 1850 pounds from one. Got 65 cents/pound for the plate and 80 cents for all the extruded. There's a good bit of steel there too. Can't say exactly how much on the steel since it went in with a bunch of other steel.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have a Gruman 18 foot van. I am going to sell the metal for scrap. I have been quoted $.40 per pound and I would like to have an idea of how much of the total weight is aluminium?
Check around if you can. They are paying as much as $1.50 a pound here for clean aluminium.

I agree with Bob, put an engine in it and try to sell it in running condition.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I agree with Bob, put an engine in it and try to sell it in running condition.
Chopping one up isn't easy. A carbide tipped blade in a circular saw is about all that will do it. Be prepared for LOTS of really hot metal flakes!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I went through 6 skillsaw blades and 30 sawzall blades. All that and the air chisel actually did the most work. The air chisel with a sharp bit will knock the rivets out real fast. Still took two solid days of work to get the van into pieces and hauled away.

I looked for a sbc to put in the van, but with the cost of an engine and my time made it not nearly as appealing as scrapping it. That and gas engine breadvans are pretty common for under $1500. It would have been a hard sell.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Listed my 15' in American Classified. Dude paid me $1000 and hauled it off without me havin to touch it!
Carl

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I do have acess to a plasma cutter so it shoud not be to much drain bramage to hack. But if I can get a $1,000 for the carcas hauled away that is obviously appealling. One constraint I have which has to be figuered into the equation is that I can not leave it where I yank the engine for more that a couple of days. I am also planing to yank it in the same place that I will do my install and fab so that I can scavange many of the little things off the donor while it is side-by-side

1 - 8 of 8 Posts