Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to the forum but been around diesels for a while. I currently have a Dodge with all the goodies and more to come.

I have a buddy that will sell me an old Frito truck with a 4 cylinder Cummins and a TH400. I was thinking about putting it in my 79 Blazer/Snowplow and was wondering how much hp and tq you guys are getting out of them.

·
Administrator
1,447 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
In theory it should be about 2/3 however bombing the 4 banger is no where near as advanced as the 6BT so very little real world proof. I have read on this board that this months diesel power mag has a 4bt with well over 400hp. Have a look at the above mentioned threads and see what you think.

Gaza

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
But the answer to the "how many hp is safe?" is elusive. A bad owner/mechanic can ruin an engine with less than the factory horses on tap.

·
Registered
335 Posts
What is this word "safe" that you speek of????:grinpimp:

·
Registered
149 Posts
2/3 Of 6bt Is Possible How Long It Will Last Depends If You Start It.h A Ha. Really I'm On My 3 Build With 4bt Over 350 Hp They Dont Last Very Long Little Problems Seem To Kill It . This Time I Went All Out Spare Nothing . Will On The Dyno The Scheid's Diesel Show Aug 24 25 . I Will Post The Results

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if I buy this one and put a few mods in it (Injectors, DVs and a better turbo) it should be a pretty good snow pusher. Or at least better than the SBC in there now?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My guess is it's already better than the SBC in there now: off idle torque. That's the best possible condition for maintaining traction in snow while having the power to push it.

Last year I watched until I couldn't stand it anymore, and also my guts were hurting from lauging, seeing a guy try to plow snow in an anemic Chevy 4X with some street tires & no chains on! He'd get way back, rev the doo-dah out of it and take a screaming running start at a snow drift then spend several minutes trying to get backed up out of the snow to do it again. Really wish I had a video-cam. Sort of like using a rope to push a stalled truck, it don't work that way, son...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts