Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem: the water outlet on the radiator is 1-1/2, and the water inlet on the 4Bt is 2-1/4.
Solutions: use a reducing radiator hose (so far I have been unable to find one that reduces 3/4"); Enlarge the outlet on the radiator; or Reduce the inlet on the 4BT; Have a new radiator made;
Preferably I would like to change the 4BT inlet if they made one with a smaller hose fitting; Also I'm thinking of changing the upper outlet (to either point straight up or turn back towards the center of the block) which may affect the Alternator mounts

Question: Is there a water inlet that measures 1-1/2, 1-3/4, or 2",

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
the `92 cummins 6 cyl. uses a straight up out let that is 1 3/4" and cummins has an inlet that is 2" and sicks straight out the pass. side of the engine. the last one I bought was about $35. never bought the outlet. so do not know the$ for that one. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
the `92 cummins 6 cyl. uses a straight up out let that is 1 3/4" and cummins has an inlet that is 2" and sicks straight out the pass. side of the engine. the last one I bought was about $35. never bought the outlet. so do not know the$ for that one. hope this helps.
the cummins inlet is just a 3 bolt flange with the 2" tube sticking straight out, without all the brackets in your picture.

·
Vendor
2,646 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You can fabricate or machine a 1-½" tube that plugs into the existing water inlet. Make sure the cast iron is good and clean, and braze weld in place with standard low fuming bronze filler rod.

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pegasusautoracing.com also has a good selection of silicone transition hoses available, I've liked the stuff I got from them so far

·
Registered
85 Posts
My lower was aluminum , 1 1/2 conduit slid right inside OEM outlet welded it in place , on the hose end I ran a bead all the way around the conduit to retain the hose

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I'D think you could also take a piece of exhaust tubing & Fab a reducer to add in a straight section .
I had a friend with a Cnc machined & He fabed me new lower water housing . & I took another aluminum water pump & sawed the out let off it . We turned it to fit into the outlet he built me & WE WELDED THEM TOGETHER ..
... Step BACK ... OUT SIDE THE BOX & LOOK AT IT WITH A DIFFERENT PAIR OF EYES.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts