Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem: the water outlet on the radiator is 1-1/2, and the water inlet on the 4Bt is 2-1/4.
Solutions: use a reducing radiator hose (so far I have been unable to find one that reduces 3/4"); Enlarge the outlet on the radiator; or Reduce the inlet on the 4BT; Have a new radiator made;
Preferably I would like to change the 4BT inlet if they made one with a smaller hose fitting; Also I'm thinking of changing the upper outlet (to either point straight up or turn back towards the center of the block) which may affect the Alternator mounts

Question: Is there a water inlet that measures 1-1/2, 1-3/4, or 2",

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
the `92 cummins 6 cyl. uses a straight up out let that is 1 3/4" and cummins has an inlet that is 2" and sicks straight out the pass. side of the engine. the last one I bought was about $35. never bought the outlet. so do not know the$ for that one. hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
the `92 cummins 6 cyl. uses a straight up out let that is 1 3/4" and cummins has an inlet that is 2" and sicks straight out the pass. side of the engine. the last one I bought was about $35. never bought the outlet. so do not know the$ for that one. hope this helps.
the cummins inlet is just a 3 bolt flange with the 2" tube sticking straight out, without all the brackets in your picture.

·
Vendor
2,650 Posts

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
You can fabricate or machine a 1-½" tube that plugs into the existing water inlet. Make sure the cast iron is good and clean, and braze weld in place with standard low fuming bronze filler rod.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pegasusautoracing.com also has a good selection of silicone transition hoses available, I've liked the stuff I got from them so far

·
Registered
89 Posts
My lower was aluminum , 1 1/2 conduit slid right inside OEM outlet welded it in place , on the hose end I ran a bead all the way around the conduit to retain the hose

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'D think you could also take a piece of exhaust tubing & Fab a reducer to add in a straight section .
I had a friend with a Cnc machined & He fabed me new lower water housing . & I took another aluminum water pump & sawed the out let off it . We turned it to fit into the outlet he built me & WE WELDED THEM TOGETHER ..
... Step BACK ... OUT SIDE THE BOX & LOOK AT IT WITH A DIFFERENT PAIR OF EYES.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Man I wish I could have found one of them years ago . I have a friend with some Lathes & CNC MACHINES .
HE MADE ME ONE.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Based on your first picture of your radiator, is it up to modern pressures, depends on cap rating. Modern engines need 16 psi of so to deal with normal heat loads.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the reminder ED; I had the radiator tested and it has half a dozen pin hole leaks and will need to be repaired or replaced

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Bit late to this but when having odd ends I prefer to try and use exhaust tubing swaged to suit and straight hoses. can always find straight hose, not so easy finding oddball hoses.
These are not odd ends but takes care of bends and uses straight hose.
Cheers Steve

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I use Cu plumbing elbows and reducer fittings and the straight sections of hose, too, works well, don't worry about road problems.

Ed in CO.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts