Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. Long time lurker trying to gain all the knowledge I can before spending the money needed for a Cummins swap. I've learned a lot already and decided now that I have the various bits and pieces and a few dollars saved up I'd better introduce myself.

I'm a nativeTexan that's just moved to Arkansas. Work had me and the wife back and forth overseas(think warm,desert climates) for the last 24 years. I've just retired (whether I wanted to or not at 50...lol) and suddenly have found way more time on my hands than I want. My original thoughts were to build a school bus rv (skoolie) and putter around North America, but I realized that economically we'd be better off with a truck and trailer camper. My plans are rebuilding a pickup from the ground up with a 4bt or 6bt and then loading up my homemade trailer and seeing this side of the world.
As I said earlier, I've lurked and learned a lot, but be prepared I can definitely ask stupid questions. Please forgive me in advance and feel free to link me to the place where it was asked before.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Since you have a clean slate (don't currently own a truck or a camper), take a look at your priorities. Is it more important to build something or more important to wander North America?

My rig (in the signature below) was driven to 37 states (motels all the way). When something fails, I have to fix it myself (at 74 years old, R&Ring a clutch throw out assembly takes days...).

Maybe look for a 6bt Dodge? In stock (or near stock) configuration. Something from retired folks that was always maintained well. You can get it fixed almost anywhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts