Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Nice!!!! I would like to see identicle trucks with the different motors...although from what I've seen, the long wheel base rigs do better in those contests.

·
Premium Member
1989 Jeep Wagoneer, 360v8, 727, stock for now,
2,633 Posts
That's a great machine you have. Any pics of the conversion?
I know from your vid info your running 38's, a body lift and of course the 4BT.
More details?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a 4BT hooked to a 4l80E with a Compushift computer. I'm running a volvo intercooler as well. The injection pump is untouched. I'm in the process of building a custom intake manifold, once that's complete I'm going to upgrade the intercooler and crank the pump up. The power is good. My truck weighs 6780lbs. empty, and I can pull Sandstone Mtn.(6% grade for 6miles) at 50mph (900egt post turbo) with a 1000lb. load. I debated between 6bt and 4bt for some time and couldn't be happier with my choice.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It's a 4BT hooked to a 4l80E with a Compushift computer. I'm running a volvo intercooler as well. The injection pump is untouched. I'm in the process of building a custom intake manifold, once that's complete I'm going to upgrade the intercooler and crank the pump up. The power is good. My truck weighs 6780lbs. empty, and I can pull Sandstone Mtn.(6% grade for 6miles) at 50mph (900egt post turbo) with a 1000lb. load. I debated between 6bt and 4bt for some time and couldn't be happier with my choice.
What are your differential ratios ? Nice Truck

Paul

·
Registered
500 Posts
What are your differential ratios ? Nice Truck

Paul
2004 H1 Specs
Axles: Hypoid with a ratio of 2.56:1.
Geared Hubs: Gear ratio of 1.92:1

I think that comes out to a 4.90'ish gear ratio @ 1:1 input. This was from a new H1 Alpha. Seems like the old military ones had something like a 2.60 or 2.73 main axle with the 1.90ish on the hubs. Not for sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have 3.08 center diffs with 1.92 gear reduction hubs for a final drive at the wheels of 5.91. I'll get some pics today, all the pics I took during the conversion were lost on an old computer. The Ford snapped the splined shaft in the 3rd member. I was suprised, there are two u-joints that could have broke instead it went for more serious breakage.
I just wanted to say thanks for this site and the old yahoo group. I've been a quiet browser for a while and used the sites for a wealth of info.
Thank You
Kris

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The pinion it is. The owner of the Ford told me that 3 dealerships have called him bullshit on breaking it (he told them he was in the field) and said no to a warranty claim. He said it's going to cost him $1100 to fix it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
The pinion it is. The owner of the Ford told me that 3 dealerships have called him bullshit on breaking it (he told them he was in the field) and said no to a warranty claim. He said it's going to cost him $1100 to fix it.
There's really no way you could twist off a pinion on a stock truck like that unless you were abusing it:confused:. I'm really suprised the u-joint didn't break - those are supposed to be the weak link so things like that don't happen.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
No offense, but truck pulling on a sticky surface is a very bad idea. I would never expose any of my trucks to such strain. I would do such a thing on dirt or mud.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No offense, but truck pulling on a sticky surface is a very bad idea. I would never expose any of my trucks to such strain. I would do such a thing on dirt or mud.
No offense taken. There's no question it’s a horrible idea. However, I was curious as to what might happen, and the Ford owner talked alot of shit, so there comes a time when you just gotta sack up and do something (I was raised on WWF, Wild Turkey and Testosterone). Fortunately, the Ford broke. In the end I think it’s an entertaining video clip.

·
Registered
30 Posts
entertaining video indeed. Was there any WWF or Wild Turkey involved in that video? I won't even ask about testosterone!!!!

Glad the other guy busted stuff. I'd have to say an HMVV is probably built out of tougher stuff than an F250, one would have to justify the purchase price somehow.

dubvee, how did you com across a hummer in need of a transplant or atleast one that made it economically feasible?

That is ONE SWEET RIDE!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Unfortunately, I function at that level sober. I bought the truck with a 6.5TD which had, or ended up having, a cracked #8cylinder (half bad luck, half blessing). Price-wise going with a used 4bt was about the most economically feasible route I could go with for a re-power. I've had the motor in the truck since the end of November and once the weather warms up I hope to fix all the bugs I've found. Like a dumb-ass I didn't replace the rear main seal when the motor was out, and it's leaking. Also, the firewall clearance is so tight it's going to require a custom intake manifold to optimize the air induction. Those are my two must fix items and then I get to start cranking it up, I can't wait.

Attachments

·
Vendor
2,656 Posts
Love the video, but wonder if it was David vs. Goliath. Military made vehicles are always overbuilt compared to civilian vehicles. Then putting in a Cummins the guy really didn't have a chance in hell. Heavier usually wins but tire compound can swing it all the way back. What happened in the beginning pull to the fence or were you "giving him a false sense of security"? Like his tires spinning and you just chug and tug.:D 4BT rules!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts