Cummins 4BT & Diesel Conversions Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
VE injection pumps in general aren't known for extreme high performance. We have guys running a standard VE pump on 300 HP 4bts. That would translate to 450 HP on a 6bt. So I'd say that is very possible. Not sure what mods Hungry Diesel has done to the pump. To run that power level you'd need at least 5x.012 injectors. That's about as big as most VE's like. One thing I noticed in their photos is the pump has the wax motor KSB unit. That part advances pump timing to help with warm up. Mainly a smog control item. The reason I mention it is because it needs to be functional or the timing is always advanced. If you engine has the sensor and wiring for that style then no problem. Those parts are expensive, especially the wiring harness. That style KSB was only used about 2 years and changed to a solenoid type which is much better. The wax motor type has to be functional to turn it off. The solenoid type has to be functional to turn it on so if you don't hook it up there's no problem. At the power level you're thinking on you probably should think on twin turbos.

·
Selling 4bt & 6bt parts to all of N.America
517 Posts
Would require 5x16 or bigger injectors for that power level.

·
Registered
220 Posts
VE injection pumps in general aren't known for extreme high performance. We have guys running a standard VE pump on 300 HP 4bts. That would translate to 450 HP on a 6bt. So I'd say that is very possible. Not sure what mods Hungry Diesel has done to the pump. To run that power level you'd need at least 5x.012 injectors. That's about as big as most VE's like. One thing I noticed in their photos is the pump has the wax motor KSB unit. That part advances pump timing to help with warm up. Mainly a smog control item. The reason I mention it is because it needs to be functional or the timing is always advanced. If you engine has the sensor and wiring for that style then no problem. Those parts are expensive, especially the wiring harness. That style KSB was only used about 2 years and changed to a solenoid type which is much better. The wax motor type has to be functional to turn it off. The solenoid type has to be functional to turn it on so if you don't hook it up there's no problem. At the power level you're thinking on you probably should think on twin turbos.
My daily driver Superduty has a VE 12 valve. It runs an HE351, Colt stage 3 cam and 5x.013 155 degree injectors in tapered open bowl pistons. I would put it around 350HP and I feel it's very conservatively fueled. It does not smoke at all. I have base timing at 16 degrees BTDC. It spools the HE351 well here and pulls like a freight train to 3500. I have grossed around 20K towing with it a few times and it does well.

I don't know anyone running the Hungry pump. The price seems good if it is a blueprinted pump built with a new camplate, rollers and distributor head.

I am told VE's do very well with extremely large injectors, but have never run bigger than 5x.013's.

·
Registered
12,996 Posts
Mark, you say a 5x.016. Never heard of a VE being able to run that big of an injector. 5x.012 should be able to do 450 HP on a 6bt it they'll so 300 HP on a 4bt or am I missing something. That's 75 HP per cylinder.

·
Registered
94 GMC 3500 Crewcab, 6bt, NV5600, NP205
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark, you say a 5x.016. Never heard of a VE being able to run that big of an injector. 5x.012 should be able to do 450 HP on a 6bt it they'll so 300 HP on a 4bt or am I missing something. That's 75 HP per cylinder.
I am running 5x12 sac 155's now with non inter cooled pistons, inter cooled aftermarket stock head, HE351, denny stage 2 pin and turned almost all the way up, stock cam, I do not think I'm much over 300hp but have never had it on a dyno, I do not have an intercooler and I think it is holding me back a lot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My daily driver Superduty has a VE 12 valve. It runs an HE351, Colt stage 3 cam and 5x.013 155 degree injectors in tapered open bowl pistons. I would put it around 350HP and I feel it's very conservatively fueled. It does not smoke at all. I have base timing at 16 degrees BTDC. It spools the HE351 well here and pulls like a freight train to 3500. I have grossed around 20K towing with it a few times and it does well.

I don't know anyone running the Hungry pump. The price seems good if it is a blueprinted pump built with a new camplate, rollers and distributor head.

I am told VE's do very well with extremely large injectors, but have never run bigger than 5x.013's.
Are tapered open bowl pistons same as the non-intercooled ones?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Large bowl use 155* these have been machined in a lathe with ~ .020" taper in the area from the rings up this is to enable standard piston to wall clearance on a majority of the piston while maintaining the extra needed where they could expand enough to score the cylinder wall when running high boost/chamber pressure ratios. With them and larger cooling nozzles you have a bigger margin when running things harder and longer at higher power levels.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Large bowl use 155* these have been machined in a lathe with ~ .020" taper in the area from the rings up this is to enable standard piston to wall clearance on a majority of the piston while maintaining the extra needed where they could expand enough to score the cylinder wall when running high boost/chamber pressure ratios. With them and larger cooling nozzles you have a bigger margin when running things harder and longer at higher power levels.
How much boost are you running and at what rpm?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
With a good load 40/42 from 1,500 up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts